KansasGenWeb Logousgenweb.gif

An Incomplete
Gove County
Kansas
Gazetteer



An Incomplete
Gove County Kansas
Gazetter

GOVE COUNTY was officially established by the State Legislature on March 11, 1868. On March 18, 1879 southern and western sections of Gove County were absorbed by Wallace and Lane Counties. On March 13, 1881, the southern section of the county lost in 1879 was restored to Gove County and the boundary on the west side of the county was moved 12 miles further west.

ALANTHUS--- Established with a post office in 1887. The post office was closed in 1917. (Located in Larrabee Township)


BALL--- Post office established in 1907. The post office was closed in 1926.
BUFFALO PARK--- Previously known as Hill Gove. Name changed to Buffalo Park in 1879. In 1895 the name was changed to Park.
CAMPUS--- Post office established in 1905. Post office closed in 1935.
CATALPA--- Post office established in 1887. Post office closed in 1914
COIN--- Post office established in 1900. Post office closed in 1917.
GEIL--- Post office established in 1901. Name changed to Orion in 1902.
GOODWATER--- Post office established in 1887. Post office closed in 1904.
GOVE--- County seat. Post office established in 1886. (Located in Gove Township)
GRAINFIELD--- Post office established in 1879. (Located in Grainfield Township)
GRINNELL--- Post office originally established in Wallace County in 1870. Post office closed in 1871; reopened in 1874; closed in 1875; opened again in 1879.
HACKBERRY--- Previously known as Hackberry Mills. Name changed to Hackberry in 1881. Post office closed in 1888; reopened in 1898; closed again in 1931. (Located in Baker Township)
HACKBERRY MILLS--- Originally established as a post office in Wallace County in 1879. Name changed to Hackberry in 1881. (Located in Baker Township)
HILL GOVE--- Post office established in 1873. Name changed in 1879 to Buffalo Park.
JERICHO--- Post office established in 1905. Post office closed in 1943.
JEROME--- Post office established in 1886. Post office closed in 1943. (Located in Jerome Township)
LISBON--- Post office established in 1889. Post office closed in 1890.
LULIE--- Post office established in 1880. Post office closed in 1882.
MAHAN--- Previously known as Tiffany. Name changed to Mahan in 1883. In 1885 the name was changed to Sloey.
MONUMENT--- Established as a stagecoach stop in 1868. It eventually became a U.S. Army encampment. In 1868 the Army moved the military post west to Wallace County.
ORION--- Previously known as Geil. Name change to Orion in 1902. Post office closed in 1943. (Located in Gaeland Township)
PARK--- Previously known as Buffalo Park. Name changed to Park in 1895. (Located in Payne Township)
PYRAMID--- Post office established in 1888. Post office closed in 1891. (Located in Lewis Township)
QUINTER--- Post office established in 1886. (Located in Baker Township)
SARAH--- Post office established in 1881. Post office closed in 1884.
SLOEY--- Previously known as Mahan. Name changed to Sloey in 1885. Name changed from Sloey to Tiffany in 1890.
TELLER--- Written up in the "History and Heritage of Gove County" book. No post office ever established. Begun in 1887. Abandoned by 1890. (Located in Larrabbee Township))
TIFFANY--- Originally established with this name as a post office in 1880. In 1883 the name was changed to Mahan. Mahan's name was changed to Sloey in 1885. In 1890 the name went back to Tiffany. Post office closed in 1894.
TWEED--- Post office established in 1901. Post office closed in 1913. Located in Lewis Township
VALHALLA--- Post office established in 1903. Post office closed in 1921.
WINIFRED--- Post office established in 1904. Post office closed in 1907.

Resources:

History and heritage of Gove County, Kansas / edited and compiled by Albert B. and Mary T. Tuttle. Quniter, Kan. : Gove County Bicentennial Commission [and] The Gove County Historical Association, 1978.

Kansas Post Offices, May 28, 1828-August 3, 1961 / by Robert W. Baughman. Topeka, Kan. : Kansas State Historical Society, 1961.

Polk's Kansas State Gazetteer and Business Directory. Chicago : R.L. Polk & Co., 1912



Please email any suggestions to Bill and Diana Sowers at wrs@cjnetworks.com

1746 SW Fairmont Road
Topeka, Kansas 66604

This page was established by Bill & Diana Sowers on July 7, 1999
Last updated July 7, 1999.

Return to Gove County

Return to KSGenWeb | Return to USGenWeb

State
Coordinators
Tom & Carolyn Ward
Columbus, KS
ks@rootsquest.com
tcward@columbus-ks.com
Assistant State Coordinator
Nancy Trice
Madisonville, KY
ksgenweb@usroots.com

Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.
The USGenWeb Logo was designed by Linda Cole.

Last updated 4/19/99

Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project
Check out these links!



Home Page for Kansas Search all of Blue Skyways