Glendale

By Zach Rehmer

 

 

Glendale was opened August 1, 1903. Glendale was located 14 miles south and west of Grinnell. (This info was from the Gove Co. History)

In 1910, 17 males and 9 females attended school, none of which were colored. There was only one teacher that got paid $330 for the whole year. In 1916 there were 2 males and 3 females. In 1939 there were 9 males and 6 females which were all white. In that year there was 1 male in the first grade, 2 females in the second, 2 females in third, 1 female in the fourth, 1 male in the fifth, there were no students in the sixth grade, 1 female in the seventh grade, and 1 male in the eighth grade. In total there were 3 males and 6 females. In 1943 10 students enrolled in classes. In 1945 six students enrolled; there 3 males and 3 females.

The school closed on March 1, 1947. When the school closed, the students were sent to Orion. (This info was from the Gove County Register or Deeds office, from Christy Tuttle.)