United States Flag

Ellis County, Kansas
City of Rome

Kansas State Flag

In May of 1867, the city of Rome was located one mile west of downtown Hays, and south of Big Creek. The cofounders were William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody, famous scout and buffalo hunter and William Rose, a railroad contractor. In June of that same year, the "Big Creek Land Company" surveyed and staked the townsite of Hays City just one mile east of Rome. By July of 1867, Rome had over 2,000 citizens. Rome continued to grow until August.

When the Union Pacific Railroad Company completed a depot in Hays City, the town of Rome suddenly decreased in size and when a cholera epidemic hit Rome in the late summer of 1867, almost all of the remaining residents moved out. A marker near Fort Hays State College stands at the site of what was once Rome, Kansas.

 

 

 


Blue Skyways
Home Page for Kansas

Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project

Kansas GenWeb Project U.S. GenWeb Project