LEVI S. HECKMAN
South Kansas Tribune, Wednesday, November 29, 1911, Pg. 3:
Last Thursday afternoon Captain L. S. Heckman, a pioneer in this city died at the Independence Hospital, at the age of 71 years, two months and twelve days. Funeral at the old home, 301 West Main, Saturday at 2 p.m.
L. S. Heckman was a Pennsylvanian by birth, and before he was 21 volunteered at the first call for 75,000 men for three months; and at its expiration answered the call for the first 300,000 men and served three years, being promoted to Captain of Co. E, 146th Pennsylvania Volunteers.
In 1870 he came to the Osage Diminished Reserve and took a “claim: southwest of what is now Caney and later to Independence. In 1881 he bought the Commercial House, on the lots where he resided until death and later leased and conducted the former Hoober House as the Commercial House, which he conducted until he retired. He, with Luther Perkins, bought the Independence Telephone, established by Mr. Reynolds, and improved the system, later selling out. His wife was buried several years ago and his son William and wife have since resided in the old home. He is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Frank C. Colyer, and two sons, Edward and William E., the third, John, having died in recent years. He was a member of the Grand Army, of the Elks and of the W. O. W. Service in charge of Rev. Floyd Poe, and interment in charge of the Elks lodge.
From: William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas
L. S. HECKMAN, proprietor of the
Commercial House, was born in Reading, Pa., September 11, 1840. April 18, 1861,
he enlisted in the Pennsylvania line for three months, and in August of the same
year enlisted in Company E of the Forty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry,
for three years. Served three years and four months, and mustered out by reason
of expiration of term of service. In 1866, he moved to Kent, Portage County, and
was engaged in butchering. In 1870 he came to Kansas, located in Chautauqua
County, where he was engaged in trading with the Osage Indians, and in live
stock trade. September, 1871, came to Independence, and has lived here since. He
continued his live stock operations until the fall of 1881, when he bought and
improved the Commercial Hotel, and since then has been the proprietor of this
popular hostelry. Was a Justice of the Peace in Chautauqua County, and was two
years a member of the School Board in Independence, also a member of the City
Council. He belongs to the G. A. R. He was married at Reading, Pa., September,
1865, to Miss A.V. Baum. They have four children - Mary E., Edward McD., John H.
and William E.
Contributed by Mrs. Maryann Johnson
a Civil war researcher and a volunteer in the Kansas Room of the Independence
Public Library, Independence, Kansas.
Contributed by Mrs. Maryann Johnson a Civil war researcher and a volunteer in the Kansas Room of the Independence Public Library, Independence, Kansas.