HENRY M. WATERS
South Kansas Tribune, Wednesday, February 24,1915, Pg. 1:
This morning Mr. E. P. Allen received a delayed telegram from the Soldiers Home at Leavenworth, announcing the death of his old friend, Henry M. Waters, for many years a prominent resident of Independence. Mr. Waters was born in Trenton Falls, N. Y. to Rev. and Mrs. Van Ransaleer Waters of the Baptist church, Jan. 17, 1841. “H. M.” was educated and lived in New York until 19 when he went west to Loraine county, Ohio, and worked on a farm until the call for 300,000 three-year men, when he enlisted in Company H, Second Ohio cavalry, in his 20th year and served three years. After discharge he re-enlisted and was assigned to his old regiment. During his over four-year service he was in twenty-four severe engagements in fourteen states, was in the chase of Morgan’s raiders and at Blue Springs, Tenn., a musket ball was shot through his arm and was in the closing battles at Five Forks, Harper’s Ferry, Appomattox Station and was present at General Lee’s surrender. In 1866 he came west to Kansas and worked in a sawmill at Humboldt. Then he clerked for Mose Neal and then in the United States land office. When that office was removed to Independence Mr. Waters had been appointed receiver and probably handled as clerk and receiver 90 per cent of all moneys paid for the lands in the Osage Diminished Reserve and there were no defalcation.
Mr. Waters was initiated, raised and passed in Pacific Lodge No. 29, A. F. & A. M., and later made a Royal Arch at Humboldt, and became a Knight in DeMolay Commandery No. 4, at Lawrence. He it was who organized St. Bernard Commandery No. 10, Knights Templar in Independence in 1878 and was it first Eminent Commander, serving three years and was grand commander of Royal Arch of the state, and in 1883 grand commander of the Grand Commandery of Kansas.
He was married in 1869 to Miss Francis M. Stephens, to whom two daughters, Kate M. and Anna were born. Mrs. Waters is buried in Mount Hope cemetery in this city.
Theoretical he was in accord with the Methodists and contributed to the erection of the old First church. In later years he has spent his summers in El Paso, Texas, with his daughter Kate, but the winters at the Leavenworth home where he could enjoy the meeting of so many of his former comrades.
The funeral will be held at the First Methodist Episcopal church, at 2:30 p.m. Thursday Feb. 25, under auspices of the Knights Templar and Masonic Lodges. Sermon by Rev. W. P. Wharton, pastor. Friends and acquaintances invited.
William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas
HON. H. M. WATERS, Receiver of Public Moneys, United States Land Office, was born at Trenton Falls, Oneida Co., N. Y., January 17, 1841. His father, Rev. Van Rensselaer Waters, was a Baptist minister, and later in life an active business man, holding for some time, the office of Sheriff of Lewis County, N. Y., and other official positions. His mother's maiden name was Belinda R. Burr, and both father and mother were of New England parentage. Henry M. was educated in the common schools of New York, and lived in New York State until he was nineteen years old, when he emigrated to Lorain County, Ohio, and worked on a farm there until August 25, 1861, when he enlisted in Company H, Second Ohio Cavalry. In this regiment he served until December 31, 1863, when he re-enlisted and mustered in as a veteran in the same regiment. Was finally mustered out September 11, 1865. During his service in the army he participated in the following engagements: Lone Jack, Newton, Monticello, Steubenville, Morgan raid through Indiana and Ohio, Blue Springs, Tenn. (when he had his arm broken by a musket ball), Siege of Knoxville, Summit Point, Charleston, Kearneytown, Limestone Ridge, Opequan Creek, Winchester, Cedar Creek, Mt. Jackson, Mt. Zion Church, Lacey's Springs, Waynesboro, Dinwiddie Court house, Five Forks, Beverly Bridge, Harper's Ferry, Appomattox Station and Appomattox Court House, Va. He was present at Lee's surrender. During the war he served in fourteen States and one Territory. After leaving the army he spent a term at the Commercial School at Oberlin, Ohio, and emigrated to Lawrence, Kan., May 2, 1866. Most of the time during the first six months in Kansas, he was at Baldwin City, but on December 24, 1866, he located at Humboldt, Allen County, working in a saw mill there six months. He was then one year with W. W. Curdy, and ten months with Moses Neal, in mercantile business. He then entered the United States Land Office, under the administration of D. B. Emmert, receiver, remaining with him until he went out of office two and one-half years later. He continued with M. W. Reynolds and E. S. Nichols, the successors of Reynolds, until December, 1874, when he was appointed Receiver of Public Moneys of the Osage Land District (the office in the meantime having been removed to Independence, Kan.), which position he still holds. He is one of the most prominent members in the A., F. & A. M., in Kansas. Initiated, passed and raised in Pacific Lodge No. 29, Humboldt, Kan., March 29, 1868. Received Royal Arch degrees in Valley Chapter, No. 11, Humboldt, Kan., March 10, 1869. Received the Council degrees in Kilwinning Council, Fredonia, Kan., June 17, 1882. Received the orders of Knighthood in De Molay Commandery, No. 4 Lawrence, Kan., June 15, 1877. Elected sublime prince of the Royal Secret of the Thirty-second degree of the ancient and accepted Scottish Rites, February 22, 1883. Past high priest of Keystone Chapter, No. 22. Organized St. Bernard Commandery, No. 10. Independence, Kan., and was elected first eminent commandery, grand high priest of Grand Royal Arch Chapter of the State of Kansas, 1883. Grand commander of the grand commandery of the State of Kansas, 1883. Theologically, he is in accord with the Methodist Episcopal Church and contributes liberally towards the support of religious enterprises. He was married at Humboldt, Kan., October 27, 1869, to Miss Frances M. Stephens, daughter of Harney Stephens. She was born at Berea, Ohio. They have two children - Kate H. and Anna Waters.
Contributed by Mrs. Maryann Johnson a Civil war researcher and a volunteer in the Kansas Room of the Independence Public Library, Independence, Kansas.