EDWARD G. HUDSON GRAVESTONE PHOTO
Evening Kansan-Republican, Wednesday,
Aug. 29, 1917, Pg. 4
Vol. XXXIII, No. 477
Citizen Was One
Edward G. Hudson was born March
22, 1848, and died Aug. 29, 1917.
His father, the Rev. S. E. Hudson,
was one of the early ministers of the Cumberland Presbyterian church of
Pennsylvania. E. G. Hudson was educated in Lincoln university at Lincoln,
Ill. and practiced law in the courts of that state. He enlisted in the
First Illinois artillery during the Civil war, when he was seventeen years of
age. He married Miss Virginia Hackney of Fayette county, Pa., in April,
1879. Five children were born, of whom three survive, Dr. Frederick of
Enid, Okla.; Dr. Harry H., first lieutenant in the medical officers’ training
camp at Fort Riley, and Edgar G., of this place, who has been his father’s
assistant in the management of his business affairs.
Mr. Hudson was associated with
Col. A. F. Johnson and John E. Frost in the land business of the Santa Fe for
Coming to Newton in the fall of
1900 from Lincoln, Ill., Mr. Hudson has been prominently identified with the
town ever since.
At the time of his decease he was
director of the First National Bank and treasurer of the Newton free library, in
the welfare of which he was always interested.
He was a member of the Grand Army
of the Republic, and belonged to the local post. He was also a member of
the Masonic fraternity and a Knight Templar.
He was a man of sterling worth, a
kind neighbor and a loving father.
No funeral arrangements have been
made as word has not been received from Dr. Harry Hudson at Fort Riley.