One of the localities soon to be greatly benefited and developed by the building of the railroad between Topeka and Council Grove, is the neighborhood about Keene. It is one of the oldest settled sections of the country. At the time the Beecher Bible and Rifle Company came to Wabaunsee, land was also being taken in this part of Mission Township. Among the earliest was the Mossman family who came in 1856. Mr. S. L. Mossman then a boy of seven, still occupies the original homestead. The Beach family came in 1857. Mr. W. K. and Mack Beach have fine homes in Keene at the present time. Other earlier settlers were, Captain Henry, Mr. Mason, John Doty, William B. Hill and William Collins. A store was opened in 1858, where tobacco, sugar, drygoods and wet goods (mostly the latter) were sold to the Indians. In 1861 a stage route was established between Topeka and Council Grove, on about the same route as the new railroad is to be built. A postoffice was opened at that time. A rural delivery now takes the place of the postoffice.
In 1874 the site was moved one-half mile farther west, and a permanent store established. Mr. G. A. Eberhardt the present proprietor of the store does a general mercantile business. He has been in the vicinity for forty years and is a substantial citizen and enterprising business man.
There is also a blacksmith shop, a public hall, and a large schoolhouse. The surrounding farms are fertile, their owners prosperous, and there are many fine homes in the vicinity.
Transcribed from Business directory and history of Wabaunsee County pub. by The Kansas directory company of Topeka, Kansas, 1907. 104 p. illus. (incl. ports.) 21 cm. Advertising matter interspersed.
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project