Return to Index
Previous Section | Next Section
CORDIA, in Fairview Township, Rush County, Kansas, is an offshoot of Liebenthal, situated on the old trail connecting Hays and McCracken, about half way between these two cities.
The townsite is small, comprising but fifteen acres divided into lots. The whole plot was donated to the settlers, Joseph Legge, Fritz Oelkers and M. Close each giving five acres. The church property consists of five acres of land donated by Adam Jacobs, a member of the young community.
The Sacred Heart Corporation was formed July 1, 1920, and received its charter on August 5 of the same year. Five charter members were elected as soon as the charter was received. They are: Matt Herrmann, Adam Jacobs, Alex Munsch, Jacob Ronda and John Kreutzer. The last named is also Trustee.
Construction on Sacred Heart Church was begun in 1920, and the building completed on October 1, 1921. The new edifice was dedicated by Rt. Rev. Aug. J. Schwertner, Bishop of Wichita, on November 15, 1921.
In the spring of 1922 work was begun on a rectory, which was completed within a few months.
Rev. J. J. Steines has spiritual charge of the new settlement, in which divine services were held for the first time on October 15, 1921. On this occasion twelve families attended. Since then, the number of families has risen to twenty-seven, and there are good prospects for a slow but steady increase.
Picture: Rev.John Steiner, Pastor of Sacred Heart Church, Cordia, Kansas
Picture: Sacred Heart Church and Parsonage, Cordia, Kans.
Transcribed from The Golden Jubilee of German-Russian Settlements of Ellis and Rush Counties, Kansas, August 31, September 1 and 2, 1926
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project