William H. Anderson, manager for the Ryley-Wilson Grocery Company, at Pittsburg, Kansas, began his business career in this city in 1887, and has since risen to a place of prominence and influence among the substantial business men of Pittsburg and Crawford county. He is well versed in commercial affairs, and his genial personality and straight-forward methods of dealing have enabled him to carry on a big trade for his wholesale grocery firm in this section of the state.
Mr. Anderson was born in Platt county, Illinois, January 1, 1864, being a son of George Clinton and Nancy J. (Morris) Anderson. His father was a native of Ohio, and followed farming as a life occupation. He settled in Piatt county, Illinois, and from there moved to Jasper county, Missouri, where he farmed until his death, in 1873. Mr. Anderson's mother was born in Indiana, and is now seventy-three years old and lives at his home in Pittsburg.
Mr. William H. Anderson was but a child when the family moved to Missouri, and was only nine years old when he lost his father. He was reared on the Jasper county farm, and received his education in the district schools. He engaged in farming in that county until he was twenty-three years old, and in 1887 left the farm to go to Pittsburg, Kansas, which is not far from his Missouri home. This city was just then in its era of great industrial and commercial development, and was an inviting place for various enterprises. Mr. Anderson started in the grocery business with W. J. Ralph, with whom he remained six months and then sold out his share to Mr. Shell. He afterward bought an interest in the dray business of Silas Carr, and the firm remained for a time as Carr and Anderson. Then Mr. Anderson's brother, E. F. Anderson, bought Carr's interest, and the business was carried on as the Anderson Brothers. Mr. Anderson subsequently bought his brother's share, and later sold half of the business to David H. Sterling, their important dray and transfer line being conducted at the present time under the name of Anderson and Sterling. Mr. Anderson still retains his partnership in this enterprise, although he gives his best energies and attention to his work as manager of the Ryley-Wilson Grocery Company's branch in this city, having taken this position in 1897. This large wholesale grocery has its main center in Kansas City, but with a branch in Pittsburg and one at Parsons, and their trade extends all over this part of the country. Mr. Anderson is a very popular man among his associates, and has been the means of drawing a great deal of business to his firm.
Mr. Anderson's executive ability has been valuable to his city as well as to his business. He was a member of the city council in 1896, and in April, 1903, was again elected to that body as the representative of the second ward. He is chairman of the light and water committee, chairman of the buildings and grounds committee, and a member of the ordinance and of the finance committee. He takes a public-spirited interest in all matters pertaining to the welfare and progress of the city, and is always willing to devote his attention and efforts to such affairs.
Mr. Anderson affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, the Independent Order of Red Men and the Fraternal Aid, and in politics is a Republican. He was married at Pittsburg in 1893 to Miss Minnie Reynolds, and they have three children, Freddie F., Ivy Pearl and Opal May.Pages 490-491 from A Twentieth century history and biographical record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors; Illustrated. Published by Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, IL : 1905. 656 p. ill. Transcribed by Carolyn Ward, in November, 2003.
| Tom & Carolyn Ward
Home Page for Kansas
| Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project