1905 History of Crawford County Kansas


CHAPTER VII.

HISTORY OF MEDICINE IN CRAWFORD COUNTY.

Part 2

There are two representatives of the profession at Cherokee. Dr. A. M. Smith, the oldest in point of residence, is a native of Connecticut. He graduated at a Massachusetts literary school and received his medical degree from the Kansas City Medical College. The doctor located in Cherokee in 1893.

Dr. D. A. Iliff, a native of Iowa, came to Linn county, Kansas, in 1859, at the age of three years. Attended the Wesleyan University in Illinois; taught school, being in turn principal of the Belle Plain and Sedan (Kansas) schools; graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Kansas City; located at Weir City in 1901, removed to Cherokee in 1902.

Dr. Adams and Dr. L. A. Newton have recently located at Chicopee. Both are regular graduates and both are young men.

Dr. C. R. Tinder, of Englevale, located here in 1892. The doctor is a Missourian by birth and education, having graduated from the Missouri State Normal, at Kirksville, in 1885, and the Marion Simms Medical College of St. Louis in 1891. Served as county health officer in 1900.

Dr. F. L. Keeler, a native of North Carolina, an ex-school teacher and a licentiate of Tennessee, located in Farlington in 1894.

Dr. A. J. Dodds, a native of Ohio and a graduate from the Ohio Medical college of Cincinnati, after practicing medicine for several years in Ohio and Indiana, came to Fleming in 1900, as physician and surgeon to the Western Coal and Mining Company.

Dr. M. K. Scott, a native Kansan, twenty-six years of age, a graduate from the Pittsburg, Kansas, high school and the University Medical College of Kansas City, located in Frontenac in 1902, as physician and surgeon to the Mount Carmel Mining Company, which position he still holds.

Girard has nine physicians in active practice. Dr. J. T. Alexander, the senior in point of residence, is a native of Missouri; graduated from the St. Louis Medical College in 1872, was located at Cuba, Missouri, until 1880, when he came to Girard. Has served as county health officer.

Dr. J. B. Gardner, a native of Kentucky, a graduate of the Louisville, Kentucky, Medical College, located in Girard in 1883. Served for several years as county health officer.

Dr. G. A. Blair, a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Baltimore, is one of the older Girard physicians.

Dr. G. E. Cole, a native of Ohio, an ex-school teacher, a graduate from Wooster University of Cleveland, Ohio, 1879, was located in Illinois for six years; came to Girard in 1885, has served as county health officer, coroner and pension examiner of Crawford county; also as secretary and president of the Southeastern Kansas Medical Society.

Dr. L. P. Adamson, a native of Pennsylvania, came to Kansas at the age of six years, taught school, graduated from the University Medical College, Kansas City, in 1894, and shortly after located in Girard. He is now serving as secretary of Crawford county pension board.

Dr. Volney T. Boaz, a native of Kentucky, where he received his literary education, graduated in pharmacy from the Kansas University in 1890; received his medical degree from the Baltimore Medical College in 1895; located in Girard in 1895; enlisted as a private in the Twentieth Kansas, shorty detailed to the hospital service, later promoted to hospital steward; served eighteen months in the Philippines; was twice elected as coroner.

Dr. W. S. Swart, a native of Vernon county, Missouri, is the youngest of the Girard profession; was born in 1876; educated at Ft. Scott Normal and Barnes' Medical College, receiving his degree in 1899, and immediately located in Girard.

Dr. Lindley E. Strode was born in Bourbon county, Kansas, in 1872; graduated from Kansas Normal College, also the Hahnemann Medical College of Chicago in 1900. Located in Girard in 1901. Is now serving as coroner of Crawford county.

Dr. Alice Ingels, who has been located at Girard for several years, is a graduate from the Keokuk Medical College, Keokuk, Iowa, class of 1891.

Dr. O. F. Lewis, a native of Michigan, graduate of Ann Arbor high school and the medical department of the University of Michigan, located in Hepler in 1881. The doctor is an active politician of the Republican variety; served as chairman of the Republican central commitee[sic] of Crawford county; is at present a representative to state legislature, a member of Crawford county pension board, and secretary of the state board of medical examinations and registration; conducts a drug store, operates a farm and yet finds sufficient time to attend to a large medical practice.

There are four physicians in active practice in McCune. The oldest is Dr. James M. Mahr, born at Galena, Illinois, in 1844. Moved to Missouri to study medicine, enlisted with a Missouri regiment in 1862, promoted to hospital steward, discharged in 1863, re-enlisted as a private in the Seventh Illinois Cavalry, served with this regiment until close of war; graduated from the Eclectic Medical Institute at Cincinatti, Ohio, in 1867. Shortly after graduation he located at Montana, Labette county, remaining at this place until 1884, when he moved to McCune. The doctor has always been a Democrat and established the Crawford County Democrat in 1889, and conducted it until 1902. Was elected representative to state legislature in 1870; was mayor of McCune for six terms; was a member of the Crawford county board of pension examiners during Cleveland's administration.

Dr. M. F. Kyger, also an old resident of McCune, graduated from the Missouri Medical College, St. Louis, in 1878.

Dr. James A. Ragsdale, another McCune doctor, graduated from the Kansas City Medical College in 1897.

Dr. E. W. Doan, son of the late Dr. A. W. Doan, an early Monmouth doctor, was born in Canada, but came to Crawford county in 1868, at the age of ten years. Graduated from Iowa College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1883, practiced medicine at Weir City for twelve years, served as coroner of Cherokee county, prison physician at Lansing. Located at McCune in 1900.

Dr. H. K. Cowan, of Midway, is a native of Pennsylvania, but lived for several years at Ft. Scott. He graduated from the University Medical College in 1901; served for one year in the Frisco Hospital at Springfield, Missouri, when he removed to his present location.

Dr. L. S. Wilson, of Monmouth, is a native of Indiana, but came to Crawford county when ten years old; graduated from Girard high school in 1891, engaged in teaching for a time, graduated from the University Medical College, Kansas City, in 1896, and moved at once to his present location.

Although Mulberry is a town of one thousand inhabitants and surrounded by a large population of miners, as well as a rich and populous farming section, Dr. J. G. Sandidge, or "Jimmie" as he is familiarly called, is still alone in the field. The doctor was born in Louisiana in 1870, is a nephew of Dr. Allen Wilson and grandson of the late Dr. B. W. Wilson, both of Mulberry. He graduated from a high school, a business college, a college of pharmacy and later in 1893 from the Missouri Medical College at St. Louis. Located at Mulberry as successor of Dr. Allen Wilson.

Dr. H. M. Bacon, of Nelson, is a native of Massachusetts. Graduated from Amherst College in 1876, conducted a drug store in Kansas City from 1878 to 1897; graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1897; came to Nelson in 1899 as surgeon to the Central Coal & Coke Company.

Dr. A. C. Lynar, of Opolis, was born in Tennessee in 1845. In 1861, at the age of sixteen years, he enlisted in the federal army, serving through the war. Graduated from the Missouri Medical College, St. Louis, in 1876, was located at Milford, Missouri, until 1880, when he came to Opolis.

In the city of Pittsburg there are twenty-eight physicians.

The oldest, Dr. G. W. Williams, was born in Tennessee in 1850, graduated from the Univeristy of Louisville in 1878, located in Missouri until 1881, when he came to Pittsburg as successor of Dr. Watkins. Was president of the Southeastern Kansas Medical Society; established the Pittsburg City Hospital, and is now giving his attention to general surgery and consultation practice.

Dr. C. A. Fisher was born at Delphi, Indiana, in 1856. Graduated from the Medical College of Indiana at Indianapolis in 1881. Located in Pittsburg in 1882. Has served as mayor of Pittsburg, coroner of Crawford county, member of Crawford county pension board and is now a representative to the state legislature.

Dr. M. E. Johnson was born in Indiana in 1854, graduated from the Miami Medical College, Cincinnati, in 1879; located in Pittsburg in 1879.

Dr. W. E. Welch was born in Missouri in 1861, graduated from Rush Medical College of Chicago in 1886, located in Pittsburg same year.

Dr. William Williams was born in Tennessee in 1861, removed to Missouri in 1870, taught school, graduated from the Missouri Medical College, St. Louis, in 1886; located in Pittsburg same year, served as member of Crawford county pension board during Cleveland's administration.

Dr. E. O. Sloan was born in Missouri in 1855, graduated from the Missouri Medical College of St. Louis in 1881, was located at Walnut Grove, Missouri, until 1882, when he removed to Cherryvale, Kansas, and remained there until 1890, when he came to Pittsburg.

Dr. A. O. Blair was born in Illinois in 1854, graduated from the St. Louis Medical College in 1877, engaged in practice in Illinois until 1884, when he located in Beulah. Came to Pittsburg in 1890. The doctor has served as secretary of the Southeastern Kansas Medical Society.

Dr. I. E. Sanderson was born in Parke county, Indiana, in 1853; moved to Girard, Kansas, in 1877; located at Farlington, with a drug store, in 1879; remained until 1894, when he came to Pittsburg. The doctor is a licentiate of the state board of medical examination and registration.

Dr. Charles Hunter was born in Alabama in 1853; came to Pittsburg in 1883; graduated from Barnes Medical College, St. Louis, in 1896. Is making a specialty of diseases of the eye and ear. Has served as mayor of Pittsburg.

Dr. F. A. Porter was born in New York in 1855. Graduated from the Hahnemann Medical College (Homeopathic) of Chicago, in 1887; located in Arkansas City, 1891; removed to Pittsburg in 1896.

Dr. A. R. Clark was born at Rushville, Illinois, in 1845. Served one year in the army in 1865 with an Illinois regiment (One Hundred and Fifty-seventh Infantry). Practiced medicine in Schuyler county, Illinois, until 1893, when he removed to Pittsburg. He is a licentiate of the state board of medical examination and registration.

Dr. Arthur Moberg was born in Illinois in 1870. Graduated from the Marion Simms Medical College of St. Louis in 1897; spent one year in the St. Louis City Hospital; located in Pittsburg in 1898.

Dr. H. H. Bogle was born in Ohio in 1867. Removed to Beulah, Kansas, in 1884; graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Chicago in 1893; located at Beulah the same year; removed to Pittsburg in 1899. Has served as county health officer and is now secretary of the Southeastern Kansas Medical Society.

Dr. Corresta T. Canfield, a native of Ohio, graduated from the Women's Homeopathic College of Cleveland, Ohio, in 1869. Attended lectures and was demonstrator of anatomy in Men's Homeopathic College for a time. Located at Titusville, Pennsylvania, for several years, until 1880, when she removed to Chicago. In 1890, on account of ill health, she removed to Pittsburg. She has served as vice-president, secretary and president of the Women's Medical Society of Chicago, and is a senior member of the American Institute of Homeopathy.

Dr. Robert W. McLaren was born in Ontario, Canada, in 1873. Graduated from Magill College, Montreal, Canada, in 1898; served two years in Montreal Hospital; located in Pittsburg in 1900.

Dr. Hugh B. Caffey was born in Mississippi in 1877. Graduated from the Tulane University of New Orleans in 1901; located in Pittsburg the same year.

Dr. A. Dietrich was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1858. Graduated from the University of Freiburg, Germany, in 1886, and later from the University of Indiana (medical department). Located in Oregon; came to Pittsburg in 1900.

Dr. J. W. Porter was born in Jefferson county, Indiana, in 1856. Graduated from high school In 1872; moved to Piatt county, Illinois, in 1877; taught school; graduated from the Kentucky School of Medicine, of Louisville, in 1883; practiced medicine in Illinois until 1885, when he removed to Jetmore, Kansas: moved to Litchfield in 1888, and to Pittsburg in 1901.

Dr. Robert D. Gibb was born in Illinois in 1878; moved to Montana in childhood; graduated from the Hospital Medical, Louisville, in 1900. Located in Montana for one year; came to Pittsburg in 1901.

Dr. A. C. Graves was born in Huntingdon, Tennessee, in 1856, attended McKinzie College; graduated from Vanderbilt University in 1881 and Nashville University in 1882; located at Cherokee same year; remained until 1897, when he attended eye and ear clinics in London, Paris and Vienna. Located in Pittsburg in 1898, where he has since limited his practice to diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat. The doctor has served as secretary and president of the Southeastern Kansas Medical Society.

Dr. Mary A. Gilman, assistant to Dr. Graves, was born at Onarga, Illinois, came to Pittsburg in 1874. Graduated from the Woman's Hospital Medical College, of Chicago, 1889. Served as interne in Mary Thompson Hospital, Chicago, for one year. Returned to Pittsburg in 1890.

Dr. E. S. Bragg was born at Evansville, Ind., in 1870. Graduated from Evansville high school in 1885, and the Missouri Homeopathic College of Medicine of St. Louis. Located at Pittsburg same year.

Dr. Ethel Hill Sharp, a native of Buffalo, New York, was trained as nurse in the W. C. T. U. National Hospital, Chicago. Graduated from Herring Medical College (Homeopathic) of Chicago in 1900. Was located at Emporia, Kansas, until 1892, when she came to Pittsburg.

Dr. Amelia A. Dickinson, a native of Maine, was born in 1871, graduated from high school and Herring Medical College (Homeopathic) of Chicago, in 1900. Was located in Maine and Massachusetts until 1903, when she located in Pittsburg.

Dr. D. O. Munson was born in New York in 1861, but early removed to Canada. Graduated from the Marion Simms Medical College, St. Louis, in 1896. Located in Cherokee in 1899. Came to Pittsburg in 1903.

Dr. T. R. Cave was born at Deputy, Indiana, in 1852. Graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1874. Practiced medicine at his old home until 1882, when he was located at McCune for one year, then moved to Westmoreland, Kansas, where he remained until 1903, when he located in Pittsburg.

Dr. Ivan G. Pohek, a native of Austria, was born in 1854. Graduated from the University of Vienna in 1875, came to America and Kansas in 1887, and to Pittsburg in 1903.

Dr. William C. Whinster, a Canadian and a recent graduate of the medical department of Central University of Louisville, has recently located in Pittsburg.

Walnut has three physicians. Of these the oldest is Dr. W. B. Ash, who was born at Springfield, Ohio, in 1850. At the age of fourteen years he moved to Kentucky. Studied medicine and attended one course of lectures. Located at Morganfield in 1874; moved to Walnut in 1877.

Dr. R. B. Stafford was born in Indiana in 1879. Moved to Kansas. Attended Baker University. Graduated from the University Medical College, Kansas City, Missouri, in 1901. Located in Walnut the same year.

Dr. J. J. Cavanaugh graduated from the Creighton University of Omaha, in 1898. Located in Arcadia. Last year moved to Walnut.

Dr. C. A. Smith of Yale, was born at Windsor, Missouri, in 1870. Attended State Normal School at Warrensburg, Missouri. Taught school for a time. Graduated from the Barnes Medical College of St. Louis in 1899, and shortly after located at Yale as physician and surgeon to the Western Coal & Mining Company.

There are at the present time in the county engaged in practice fifty-two regular, seven eclectic and six homeopathic physicians. Of these, fifty-nine are male and six are female.

While the progress of Crawford county in other fields during the past forty years has been rapid, yet medicine has kept abreast of the industries and her sister professions. From the few squatter doctors, with their crude appliances in 1864, today we have sixty-five well equipped and up-to-date physicians and surgeons, fully prepared to meet the demands of our dangerous mine and railroad injuries, and to care for the ills of our increased population. We have two thoroughly equipped hospitals, the Pittsburg City Hospital, a private institution, operated by Drs. G. W. Williams, Willlam Williams, and A. O. Blair, and the Mt. Carmel Hospital, conducted by the Catholic Sisters, and open to the entire profession.

Pages 150-160 from A Twentieth century history and biographical record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors; Illustrated. Published by Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, IL : 1905. 656 p. ill. Transcribed by Justin Kemp, Brett Davis, Andrew Swob and Ezekiel Menneke, students at Baxter Springs Middle School, Baxter Springs, Kansas, in November, 2002.


Previous Section | Index | Next Section
Name Index | Location Index

Tom & Carolyn Ward
Columbus, KS

tcward@columbus-ks.com


Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

© 2002, 2003 by Tom & Carolyn Ward


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project