Maps and text transcribed from: Transactions of the Kansas State Historical Society, 1903-1904; edited by Geo. W. Martin, Secretary. Vol. VIII. Topeka: Geo. A. Clark, state printer, 1904.
Reproduced with permission of the Kansas State Historical Society.

MAP IX, 1873.

In 1873 the remaining part of the state west of range 25 west was divided into twenty-two new counties and twelve changes were made in the boundaries of counties already established. The new counties were Decatur, Rawlins, Cheyenne, Sheridan, Thomas, Sherman, Lane, Buffalo, Foote, Meade, Scott, Sequoyah, Arapahoe, Seward, Wichita, Kearney, Grant, Stevens, Greeley, Hamilton, Stanton, and Kansas (Laws of 1873, pp. 146-156).

Wabaunsee county took its final form, a tract six miles square being detached from Riley county and restored to Wabaunsee (id. p. 110).

The line between Riley and Davis, instead of following the Kansas and Republican rivers, from the west line of township 11, range 8 east, to the east line of Clay county, was defined by section lines "commencing at the southeast corner of section 34, township 9, range 4 east; thence east to the southeast corner of section 34, township 9, range 5 east; thence south to the southeast corner of section 34, township 11, range 5 east; thence east to the section line in the middle of township 11, range 6; thence south one mile to the line between the fourth and fifth tiers of sections of township 11; thence east to the east line of the county as formerly established" (id. pp. 113-115).

The southern boundary of Barton was pushed six miles south to the line between townships 21 and 22 (id. p. 112).

The north line of Pawnee was pushed six miles north to the north line of township 20. Townships 21, 22, and 23, range 15 west, were detached from Stafford and attached to Pawnee on the east. The south line of Pawnee, beginning at the northeast corner of township 24, range 15 west, ran eighteen miles west; thence six miles north; thence eighteen miles west on the north line of township 23 to the east line of Hodgeman county (id. p. 152). The west line of Stafford was pushed six miles east to the east line of range 15 west (id. p. 153). As defined by the statute Barton and Stafford overlapped four townships and Barton and Pawnee one. Kiowa was enlarged by the territory cut off from the south of Pawnee and by townships 24 and 25, range 15 west, cut off from Stafford.

Barber county was enlarged by township 30, ranges 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15 west, which were detached from Pratt and by townships 31-35, range 10 west, which were detached from Harper (id. p. 112).

Townships 21, of ranges 1, 2 and 3 west, were detached from Harvey and given to McPherson (id. p. 116).

The north line of Clark was pushed six miles north to the north line of township 30, and the west line six miles west to the east line of range 27 west (id. p. 147).

The north line of Ford was pushed six miles north to the north line of township 25, the south line six miles south to the north line of township 30, and the west line six miles west to the east line of range 27. The south line of Hodgeman was pushed six miles north to the north line of township 25, and the west line six miles west to the east line of 27. The west line of Ness was pushed six miles west to the east line of range 27 east (id. p. 148).

Barber, Cheyenne, Ford, Harper, Ness, Pratt and Reno counties were organized. The name of Norton county was changed to Billings, but was changed back to Norton the following year.

Link to full size MAP IX, 1873.


Map I, 1855
includes origin of county names
for those counties not existing in 1904.

Map II, 1857-'59

Map III, 1860

Map IV, 1861-1864

Map V, 1865-1866

Map VI, 1867

Map VII, 1868

Map VIII, 1869-1872

Map IX, 1873

Map X, 1874

Map XI, 1875-1880

Map XII, 1881, '82

Map XIII, 1883,'84

Map XIV, 1885

Map XV, 1886-1892
 
Map XVI, 1893-1904
Article Introduction

Return to top


Maps and text transcribed from: Transactions of the Kansas State Historical Society, 1903-1904; edited by Geo. W. Martin, Secretary. Vol. VIII. Topeka: Geo. A. Clark, state printer, 1904.
Reproduced with permission of the Kansas State Historical Society.

Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by Tom & Carolyn Ward for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project. Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project
©1999, Tom & Carolyn Ward