J. M. J. Reade, who is pastor of the Seven Dolores Catholic Church of Manhattan and is also the priest for Ogden and McDowell, Kan., is a native of New England, born at Teverton Providence Plantation, Bristol county, Rhode Island, in 1851, the son of Christopher and Mary A. (Cole) Reade. His father was born, reared and learned his trade in the State of Rhode Island, where he was a "belter" in the leather business. Nine children were born to Christopher and Mary A. Cole Reade, whose father was a merchant of standing in the community, of whom J. M. J. is the only one living. During his boyhood he attended the public schools, but at an early age determined to dedicate his life to the church, and with this end in view took academic and college courses in Canada and the State of New York. After completing his collegiate education he attended the theological seminary at Woodstock, Md. The Jesuit order has been noted for its missionary work in every country and especially so in the United States and Father Reade has followed in the footsteps of the men who were the first to pass up the great lakes and rivers of this continent to carry the word of God to the red men of Hudson Bay and the Great Slave lake of the frozen north. No journey has been too long, no river too swift or perilous to deter this band of men from gathering men into the fostering care of the church, with no regard as to the color of their skins, as the soul of man is the thing to be saved. In 1885 Father Reade was ordained at Seattle, Wash., by Bishop Younge, and started out on his first work as a missionary to the Indians at Gilman, Wash. He was stationed in the college there, but his special charge was the red man. He has traveled all over the United States establishing missions, and has never had a regular parish charge except at Lincoln, Neb., where he remained five years rector of the cathedral. For a time he was at Shelbyville, Ill., then went to the Pacific coast again, but returned to Kansas nine years ago to locate at Minneapolis, where he soon built a fine church at Niles and parsonage at Minneapolis, and four years ago was transferred to Manhattan, as resident missionary. The parish of Manhattan is located in the diocese of Concordia, which is presided over by Bishop Cunningham.
Kansas was not thrown open to white settlers until the early '50s, and there was little settlement for some years after that except along the rivers, but Riley county was well watered and in consequence farmers located there at an early date. The parish of Manhattan is over fifty years old. Soon after the town was started the priests from St. Marys gathered the Catholic families of the locality together and organized a congregation. At first they met in houses of good Catholics, mass being held by the Fathers from St. Mary's Mission, who made the trip on horseback for the purpose, but for years the parish had no resident priest as the settlers were so scattered and the congregation too small. Nearly a half century ago a church was erected at Ogden, and twenty-eight years ago a building was purchased from the Methodists of Manhattan and converted into a Catholic church, and within a short time Father Ennis was placed in charge of the parish; he was followed by Fathers Lee, Curtin, Leher, Curtin, Regan and Martin, each of whom stayed about two years, then Father Shields came to Manhattan and ministered to the people for eight years; he in turn was succeeded by Father Reade, in 1906, who is a resident missionary. The congregation of Seven Dolores Church consists of about thirty families; Ogden has about the same number, while McDowell has twenty families, who are communicants. During his pastorate Father Reade has done much good for his parich; a new $17,000 church has been erected at Ogden, and just recently a $7,000 edifice has been completed at McDowell; these are as fine church structures of their kind as can be found within the state. At Manhattan the Sacred Heart Academy, founded by Father Reade in 1908, conducted by the Sisters of St. Joseph, is run in connection with the church. There are from seventy to one hundred and twenty-five scholars in attendance, and courses are offered in all studies from kindergarten through high school, with special regard to commercial branches. A boarding school has also been established in connection with the day school.Pages 786-787 from volume III, part 2 of Kansas: a cyclopedia of state history, embracing events, institutions, industries, counties, cities, towns, prominent persons, etc. ... / with a supplementary volume devoted to selected personal history and reminiscence. Standard Pub. Co. Chicago : 1912. 3 v. in 4. : front., ill., ports.; 28 cm. Vols. I-II edited by Frank W. Blackmar. Transcribed December 2002 by Carolyn Ward. This volume is identified at the Kansas State Historical Society as microfilm LM195. It is a two-part volume 3.
TITLE PAGE / LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I
TITLE PAGE / LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS
J | K | L | Mc | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y | Z
Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project