County Seat: Sharon Springs
· 1,749 (2000)
· 1,821 (1990)
· 1,178 (1900)
Area: 914 Square Miles
Standard Abbreviation: WA
A fort, a town, and a county were named for General William H. L. Wallace who was fatally wounded April 10, 1862 at the battle of Shiloh.
The Special Collections of the Ablah Library at WSU contain historical images of
The Kansas State Historical Society also has
historical data for Wallace County online including a rich bibliography and
lists of cemeteries, post offices, and newspapers.
Wallace County in 1899|
Cities, Towns, & Villages of Wallace County
Town Population ZIP Year Elevation
================= ========== ========= ==== =========
Sharon Springs 835 67758 3471
Wallace 67 67761 1869 3311
Weskan 67762 1887 3846
Census Bureau Profile & Map
Special Places in Wallace County
- Weskan has a nice little park a couple of blocks south of highway US40.
- Vega once was a town with a post office south of Sharon Springs; it's gone now.
- Only a cemetery remains of the old settlement of Stockholm in the south part of the county.
- Mt Sunflower, elevation 4039, is the highest point in Kansas.
- The post cemetery is all that's left of old Fort Wallace.
- Rhino Hill in the northeast part of the county has been the source of many fossilized shark's teeth and vertebrate skeletons.
Special Events in Wallace County
- The Wallace county free fair is held every July.
- The Rattlesnake Roundup and Festival is held every May in Sharon Springs. Contact (785) 852-4473 for more information.
Wallace County School Systems
- Sharon Springs Public Library (785) 852-4685
113 W. Second / Sharon Springs, KS 67758
- Western Times (785) 852-4900
110 N. Main, Box 279 / Sharon Springs, KS 67758-0166
More Data About Wallace County
- Wallace County History (Sharon Springs: Wallace County Historians. 1979)
Wallace County Offices
- Wallace County (785) 852-4282
313 Main St. / Sharon Springs, KS 67758
- Sheriff (785) 852-4288 / 313 Main St.
- Extension Service (785) 852-4285
313 Main St. / P.O. Box 189 / Sharon Springs, KS 67758-0189
For more about Wallace County contact:
- Wallace County Chamber Of Commerce (785) 852-4935
P. O. Box 508 / Sharon Springs, KS 67758
- Wallace County Pride (785) 852-4473
Sharon Springs, KS 67758
Last updated on
November 29, 2009
A service of the Kansas State Library
Graphics by John Howell,
photos by Susan Howell,
used by permission.