County Seat: Larned
· 7,233 (2000)
· 7,555 (1990)
· 5,084 (1900)
Area: 755 Square Miles
Standard Abbreviation: PN
Pawnee County Courthouse
Map and text from History of Kansas,
Noble Prentis, (Winfield: E.P. Greer. 1899)
Organized in 1872.
County seat, Larned.
Named for the once powerful tribe of Pawnee
Indians, the area of this county having been
included in their original hunting grounds.
William G. Cutler's History of Kansas
, first published in 1883, tells about early Pawnee County
The Special Collections of the Ablah Library at WSU contain historical images of
The Kansas State Historical Society also has
for Pawnee County online including a rich bibliography and
lists of cemeteries, post offices, and newspapers.
Cities, Towns, & Villages of Pawnee County
Town Population ZIP Year Elevation
================= ========== ========= ==== =========
Ash Valley 2099
Burdett 256 67523 2133
Garfield 198 67529 1873 2075
Larned 4,236 67550 1873 2004
Rozel 182 67574 2073
Census Bureau Profile & Map
Special Places in Pawnee County
- Fort Larned on a quiet afternoon leaves you wondering where are all the soldiers; they play the bugle calls that order the day.
- The "Trail Ruts" part of the Fort Larned park has impressive ruts, cute prairie dogs, and a taste of the isolation of the big prairie
- Burdett was the boyhood home of
Tombaugh, the discoverer of the planet Pluto.
- Santa Fe Trail Center (620) 285-2054
Route 3 / Larned, KS 67550 (2 miles west of Larned on Hwy 156)
- Fort Larned National
Historic Site (620) 285-6911
Beautifully restored frontier Army post six miles west of
Larned on Hwy 156
- Central States Scout Museum (620) 285-8938 or 285-6427
815 Broadway / P. O. Box 392 / Larned, KS 67550
Scouting memorabilia!!! Admission: $1.00 per person.
- Sibley's Camp
502 W. Second / Larned, KS 67550
Pawnee County School Systems
- Tiller & Toiler (620) 285-3111
115 W. Fifth / Larned, KS 67550
Other sites about Pawnee County
More Data About Pawnee County
- Kansas County Profile Reports
Statistical data from The Institute for Policy and Social Research, the University of Kansas
Pawnee County Offices
For more about Pawnee County contact:
- Burdett Community Development Corp. (620) 525-6267
Burdett, KS 67523
- Larned Area Chamber of Commerce (800) 747-6919
502 Broadway / P. O. Box 240 / Larned, KS 67550
Last updated on
November 29, 2009
A service of the Kansas State Library
Graphics by John Howell,
photos by Susan Howell,
used by permission.