County Seat: Council Grove
· 6,104 (2000)
· 6,198 (1990)
· 11,967 (1900)
Standard Abbreviation: MR
Map and text from
History of Kansas,
Noble Prentis, (Winfield: E.P. Greer. 1899)
Organized as Wise in 1855.
County seat, Council Grove.
Originally named for Henry A. Wise, who was
Governor of Virginia during the John Brown
seizure of Harper's Ferry. The
execution of that "grand old man,"
at Charlestown, December 2, 1859, was one of
the last acts of Wise's administration.
Name was changed to Morris in February, 1859,
in honor of Thomas Morris, a United States
Senator from Ohio in 1832, who distinguished
himself as an opponent of slavery.
He died in 1844.
William G. Cutler's History of Kansas
, first published in 1883, tells about early Morris County
The Kansas State Historical Society has
for Morris County online including a rich bibliography and lists of
cemeteries, post offices, and newspapers.
The Special Collections of the Ablah Library at WSU contain historical images of
Cities, Towns, & Villages of Morris County
Town Population ZIP Year Elevation
================= ========== ========= ==== =========
Burdick 66838 1455
Council Grove 2,321 66846 1847 1233
Delavan 67449 1502
Diamond Springs 1370
Dunlap 81 66846 1878 1186
Dwight 330 66849 1490
Latimer 21 1871 1413
Parkerville 73 1350
Skiddy 1870 1230
White City 518 1871 1470
Wilsey 191 66873 1510
Census Bureau Profile & Map
Special Places in Morris County
- Diamond Springs was a famous stop on the Santa Fe trail.
- Council Grove has an historic tour to show the numerous places you can visit while there.
- Dunlap is nearly a ghost town but has a large city park that even
has some new playground equipment. See Faded Dreams.
- Council Grove Public Library (620) 767-5716
829 W Main Street / Council Grove, KS / 66846
- Dwight Library (785) 482-3804
P.O. Box 278 / Dwight, KS 66849
- Elm Creek Township Library (785) 497-2289
213 Fifth Street, Wilsey, KS 66873
- White City Public Library (785) 349-5551
104 N. First / P. O. Box 206 / White City, KS 66872-0206
- Kaw Mission (620) 767-5410 - State Historic Site
500 N. Mission, Council Grove, KS 66846
- Post Office Oak and Museum
East Main, Council Grove, KS 66486
- Seth Hays Home
Wood St., Council Grove, KS 66486
Morris County School Systems
- Council Grove Republican (620) 767-5123
208 W Main, Council Grove, KS 66486
- The Prairie Post (785) 349-5516 · 800-593-5516
108 E. Mackenzie, White City, KS 66872
--covering the communities of Alta Vista (Wabaunsee County), Dwight and White City
More Data About Morris County
- Kansas County Profile Reports
Statistical data from The Institute for Policy and Social Research, the University of Kansas
- Midwest Research Institute. The Capper/MRI Quick-Fact Book of Kansas ( Topeka: Capper Press. 1990)
- Fitzgerald, Daniel, Faded Dreams: More Ghost Towns of Kansas
(Lawrence: University Press of Kansas, 1994)
Morris County Offices
For more about Morris County contact:
Last updated on
November 29, 2009
A service of the Kansas State Library
Graphics by John Howell,
photos by Susan Howell,
used by permission.