History of Nashville
Nashville orginated in 1885 and was so named,
because some settlers came from Nashville, Tennessee.
In the late 1870's, there was hardly anyone
living in the area. The good grassland, between Sand
Creek and the Chikaskia River, was used by a few
ranches. Cattle herds grazed together, since fences
were unlawful on public land. Stage line tracks on
the trail are still visible in the pastures in the vicinity
of Nashville. Until the farm land was occupied and
fenced, there were few if any roads.
With the building of the Atchison, Topeka and
Santa Fe Railroad through Nashville, it developed
into a thriving community. Pens by the railroad
tracks were used for loading, unloading and selling
cattle and wild horses. Other early businesses
included: Frank Krengel's Livery and Feed Barn;
Kennedy's Grocery, which also served as a bank
until 1907 and provided a corner for the post office;
State Bank operated by Halls, Hemphill and Mrs.
Phiel; Figge-Bennett General Store; Stewart-Larabee Hardware; McNabb Barber Ship,
Johnson's Store; Clyde Waiter's Gazette;
Twyman-Gray Store; J.J. Lawrence Real Estate; Louthan
Blacksmith Shop; hotel; Townsend Restaurant;
Elliott Brothers Dry Goods; J.B. Hewitt, builder,
Ben Hudson Oakland Dealership; electric plant,
which operated from sundown to ten o'clock; Larabee
Model-T Agency; telephone system built by
Everett Dafforn; produce and cream station; and
Larabee Dodge Agency.
Dr. J.B. Morton practiced from 1909 to 1933. He
built a small hospital in 1926. Dr. D.C. McCarty
took over Dr. Morton's practice. He was followed by
Dr. T.L. Waylan and his wife, Frances, a registered
nurse, who diligently cared for patients until 1981,
when they retired. The hospital closed a few years
Many of the settlers, of German descent, had
relocated on the Kansas prairie, seeking new homes,
farm land, and a place to worship. They worshipped
in a schoolhouse, until the first Lutheran Church
was erected. Those in and around Nashville were
part of the Missouri Lutheran Synod. Their early
church was replaced by a larger structure, which is
still used. The Methodist Sunday School was organized
in 1889 and met in a schoolhouse until 1912,
when their church was built. Also in 1889, the
Presbyterian worshippers organized, and likewise
used a schoolhouse for worship services. In 1907,
their church edifice was completed and dedicated.
The Methodist and Presbyterian congregations
merged in 1957, using the Presbyterian Church.
In 1984, Nashville has a post office; elevator;
general store; gas-repair-service-garage; Joe Strong
Insurance and Real Estate Agency; Lutheran and
Presbyterian churches and a grade school. The
population is 143.
__Some information furnished by
George Krengle and A. Ricker
Kingman County, Kansas, And Its People.
(Kingman: Kingman County Historical Society. 1984)
Used by permission
Explore Nashville &
Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
© Copyright 2001
John & Susan Howell