Establishment of Towns
ZIONVILLE__located on S16-T36-R37, was established in 1885.
M.M. Wilson was one of the early settlers and erected a store
building which became the center of activity of the town. Sunday
school and church services were held in the Wilson home. The
present day site is marked by a cemetery on the Virgil Mawhirter
farm about 10 miles south of Ulysses. Some of the business men
from 1885 to 1887 were as follows: M. M. Wilson, general
merchandise; Taggart Bros., well boring; J. E. Elwood, livery,
feed and sale stables; Brollier and Doze, real estate and loans;
J. E. Elwood, proprietor Elwood hotel; M. M. Wilson, real estate
and locator; M. Offill, contractor and builder; Mullen and
Ledgerwood, flour, feed and grain; S. S. Taggart, money to
loan; Wm. H. Storms, restaurant; L. A. Stanwood, attorney at law;
W. C. Calhoun, agent for nursery stock; W. B. Riney, stone mason
and plasterer; Calhoun and Skadden, real estate and loan
agents; Neely hotel.
SPURGEON__located on S28-T27-R35, had a population of fifteen.
The town lasted but four years. Early day citizens who lived in
Spurgeon were W. W. Pearce, S. S. Stanley, W. F. Collins, Vigil
McCracken, Charles LaFleur, G. C. Underwood, L. C. Reynolds and
H. H. McNutt.
GOLDEN__located on S34-T29-R38, was established in 1886 with a
population of fifty. The Golden cemetery now marks the spot.
Business men of Golden were, Harmon and Son, manager The Golden
Land and Loan Co.; B. E. Morris, real estate; T. S. Hurd and Co.,
Loan Agents; Clarence Vorhees, The Golden Lumber yard; J. Lash
and Co., General merchandise; Frank Byers, blacksmith; Clarence
Vorhees, contractor and builder; J. A. Harmon, Western Supply
SHOCKEY__located on S29-T27-R38, was established 1886 and grew
to a town of fifty inhabitants. Business men of Shockey were
Spivey and Holmes Bros., lumber, hardware, agriculture
implements; Shockey, Struthers and Co., real estate and locators;
A. L. Houston, watchmaker and jeweler; John Chamberlain,
proprietor, Chamberlain House; L. Shockey, general merchandise;
J. G. Klein, general merchandise; S. F. Klein, dealer in pumps
and windmills; W. W. Little, blacksmith. Other residents were Wm.
Shockey, after whom the town was named, T. R. Hornaday, J. w.
Plunkett, David Holmes, A. W. Snyder, F. W. Rider, George Rider,
Karl Gall, T. W. Swinney, Peter Kiistner, Peter Molz, L. Binney
and Wm. Easton Hutchison.
GOGNAC__located on Sec. 36, TWp. 28s, Range 39w, was
established in 1886 in Stanton County. Later the post office was
moved to Grant County. The town consisted of one building and a
store and post office combined. Citizens who lived in the
vicinity were Brownlee, B. H. Berry, W. J. Cross and C. C. Pell.
SURPRISE__located on See. 16, Twp. 28s, Range 37w, was
established in 1885. John Arthur, E. R. Watkins, Frederick
Ausmus. Henry H. Cochran, and George W. Cook were some of the
early day settlers.
LAWSON__located on Sec. 27, Twp. 29s, Range 35w, was
established in 1886. The population of the town was twenty-five.
Settlers living around Lawson were Dr. E. H. Burks, J. E. Hickok,
W. D. Pierson, C. H. Stain and E. O. Smart. Some of the business
firms were, Ingersol and Kittle, general merchandise; E. L.
Burks, manager of Lawson Lumber Yard; J. V. Cover and Co., Real
Estate and Loans.
WATERFORD__located in Southeast Grant County on Sec. 33, Twp.
30s, Range 35w, was established in 1886. It was an Irish
settlement on the border of the Grant and Stevens Counties line
near the cimarron river. Early day citizens of Waterford were
Timothy Nihill, Larry O'Keefe, Mike Keegan, John Butler, Mathew
O'Dea, Johnnie O'Dea, Wm. McCall, James Lahey, Johnny Lahey St.,
Thomas Lahey, and Johnny Lahey Jr.
SURPRISE-TILDEN__located on S16-T28-R37, Surprise was
established in 1885. John Arthur, E. R. Watkins, Frederick
Ausmus, Henry H. Cochran, and George W. Cook were some of the
early day settlers. The name of the post office was changed to
Tilden in 1887.
CINCINNATI-APPOMATTOX__Located on S28-T28-R37, Cincinnati
was established in 1887. The name was later changed to
Appomattox. It had a population of about one thousand and was the
chief contender for the county seat. Business men of that town
were: Merchants, James a. Neff, J. S. Davis, Alexander Smith,
B.P. Mitchell, J. A. Gillespie and Co., Tom Elliot-t, James
Elliott, E.S. Snow, Robert and Dougherty, Roswell, L.S. Jones,
Baker and Co., Luce Bros., A.H. Huston, B.D. Williams, Fred
Besser, John Benning, J.L. Buskirk, Brrett and Worley, F.M.
McNeely, S.D. Huffman, Tracy Boirs., Potter and Davis, Lee and
Horn, Reed and Ballard, J.W. Jamison, v.s. Creveling.
The builders were W.A. Pender, Perry ;and Co., J.T. Cursman, W.F.
Stover and Son. There was one bank, The Peoples Bank. The
physicians were Drs. S.C. Bell, J.A. Hooe, O. Stiles,.
There was one hotel, The Grand Hotel, owned and managed by Jacob
Elliott. The land agents were Charles Melloan, Richardosn, Benett
and Co., Craig and Miller, J.C. Colin.
The names of the saloon keepers were not available. Kansas,
supposedly a dry state, openly sold liquor in some of the
Part of the Ulysses high school ground is on the old site of
Cincinnati, later Appomattox. To clear up the confusion over why
one town should have four names, Surprise, Tilden, Cincinatti,
and Appomattox, Mr. Wilson gave this explanation:
The town of Surprise was started about the same time as
Ulysses. It was intended that these two towns should oppose each
other for the county seat. A number of men living close to
Surprise were interested in making Surprise the county seat and
were opposed to Ulysses. They were, however, unable to make a
satisfactory arrangement with the Surprise Town Company for an
interest in Surprise, so they decided to locate a People's town
under the Federal land laws, and entered a tract of land two
miles south of Surprise as a town site, which they called
Cincinnati, early in 1887.
As the county was named Grant and the town of Ulysses being
named for General and President Grant, it seemed that the new
town of Cincinnati wished to be equally patriotic, so after
Surprise and Cincinnati had consolidated, they changed the post
office of Surprise to Tilden. Samuel J. Tilden was a candidate
for president of the United States on the Democratic ticket in
1876 against Rutherford B. Hayes.
In 1887, Grover Cleveland was the President. The new town
wished to be even more patriotic than before, so Colonel T. T.
Taylor, who lived in Hutchinson, Kansas, and was president of
the Surprise Town Company, and had served in the Civil War under
General Sheridan, wrote to him and asked him for an appropriate
name for a town to be made county seat of Grant County. General
Sheridan wrote and suggested the name of Appomattox, as that was
where General Lee had surrendered to General Grant in the Civil
War. The name of the consolidated towns became Appomattox. The
County seat election was between Appomattox and Old Ulysses.
A Look At Our History
Published by the Grant County Chamber of Commerce
Used by permission
Grant County Chamber of Commerce
206 E. Grant Avenue / Ulysses, KS 67880
||Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
© Copyright 2002
John & Susan Howell