Clark County Courthouse
County Seat: Ashland
· 2,390 (2000)
· 2,418 (1990)
· 1,701 (1900)
Area: 975 Square Miles
Standard Abbreviation: CA
|Organized in 1885. County Seat, Ashland. Originally and correctly Clarke, with a final e, in memory of Charles F. Clarke, Captain and Adjutant-General, United States Volunteers, who died at Memphis, December 10, 1862.
Map and text from History of Kansas
Noble Prentis, 1899
The Special Collections of the Ablah Library at WSU contain historical images of
The Kansas State Historical Society also has
for Clark County online including a rich bibliography and lists of
cemeteries, post offices, and newspapers.
Cities, Towns, & Villages of Clark County
Town Population ZIP Year Elevation
================= ========== ========= ==== =========
Ashland 975 67851 1884 1979
Cash City 0 1885
Englewood 109 67840 1884 1970
Lexington 0 1885 2010
Minneola 717 67865 1887 2548
Sitka 1909 1883
Census Bureau Profile & Map
Special Places in Clark County
Clark County State Lake is a special jewel in the rugged landscape north of Ashland. The drive around the south side of the lake (best taken in dry weather) is breathtaking.
- Big Basin and Little Basin are geologic depressions or sinkholes
in rural Clark County. Big Basin is nearly a mile wide and 100 feet deep.
- St. Jacob's Well located inside Little Basin is a "bottomless"
spring that never goes dry. This was an important oasis for pioneer
travelers. A search is now on for the lost plaque called the "Indian Living Water Marker" that overlooked St. Jacob's Well.
- The Hardesty House is a turn-of-the-century hotel in Ashland
that is now a good restaurant/private club.
- Manning was a little town on the AT&SF between Ashland and
Public Library (620) 635-2589
604 Main Street / Ashland, KS 67831
- Minneola City Library (620) 885-4749 Established 1930
112 Main Street / P. O. Box 95 / Minneola, KS 67865
- Pioneer-Krier Museum (620) 635-2227
430 W. Fourth (Highway 160) / Ashland, KS 67831-0862
Pioneer life, fossils, barbed wire, & aerobatic planes.
Memorabilia of five famous people: Wes Santee, Harold Krier, Jesse Clair Harper, Jay Berryman and Rodney Hardesty
Clark County School Systems
- Clark County Clipper (620) 635-2312
705 Main Box 457 / Ashland, KS 67831
- Minneola Record (620) 885-4710
205 S. Main / Minneola, KS 67865
More Data About Clark County
- Kansas County Profile Reports
Statistical data from The Institute for Policy and Social Research, the University of Kansas
Clark County Offices
For more about Clark County contact:
- Ashland Chamber of Commerce (620) 635-2680
703 Main / Ashland, KS 67831
- Fitzgerald, Daniel Faded Dreams : More Ghost Towns of Kansas ( University Press of Kansas. 1994)
- WPA The WPA Guide to 1930s Kansas ( Lawrence: University Press of Kansas. 1984 )
Last updated on
November 29, 2009
A service of the Kansas State Library
Graphics by John Howell,
photos by Susan Howell,
used by permission.