FORT WALLACE

Historical marker on US40
Wallace county


Before the building of the Union Pacific the Smoky Hill trail to Denver crossed these prairies and over it passed several of the famous freight and stage lines of the early West. The wild plains Indian bitterly fought this traffic through his hunting grounds. Fort Wallace, established in 1865 as Camp Pond Creek and renamed in 1866, was one of four military posts protecting the route. From 1865 to 1878 it was the most active post on the Indian frontier. Troops were almost constantly in the field and the fort was several times besieged. In June, 1867, 300 Cheyennes under Chief Roman Nose raided an overland stage station nearby and attacked the fort, killing several soldiers.

The fort was about two miles southeast. It was abandoned in 1882 and nothing now remains of the stone and wood buildings where once as many as 500 men were stationed. Still to be seen, however, is the post cemetery.

Erected by the Kansas Historical Society and State Highway Commission

More  Historical Markers


May 30, 1997 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library