Sunflower Icon

W. B. Strong
Memorial Railroad Park

Sunflower Icon

 

W. B. Strong Memorial Railroad Park
Strong City, Kansas
Established 1990

The town of Strong City originated in March of 1871 when the Santa Fe Railroad was completed to the point then known as Cottonwood Station. Strong City was referred to as Cottonwood Station until 1881. In February of 1881 a petition was signed by a majority of the citizens and presented to the legislature asking that the body officially change the name to Strong. It was approved and Cottonwood Station was renamed in honor of William Barstow (W. B.) Strong, General Superintendent and later, President of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway. In 1945 "City" was added to the name Strong.
 
A six stall roundhouse employed many workers and was active 1887 to 1938.
 
The original depot burned in 1902 and was replaced in 1903. In 1913, due in part to the very heavy passenger and freight traffic, a new brick depot trimmed in native cut limestone was built for a cost of $20,000. The new depot was one of the best in the Santa Fe System.
 
The caboose was donated by Santa Fe in 1990.
 
Marker text sent by Robert Walter, Pittsburg, KS
 
Marker in park at Cottonwood & Topeka
Strong City
Link to Chase County
Chase County
 
More
Historical
Markers

June 13, 2002 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library