At this site the first power pole for the Brown-Atchison Electric
Cooperative was dedicated in special ceremony on November 10, 1937.
Brown-Atchison was the first rural electric project to energize in
Kansas financed by loans from the Rural Electrification Administration
(REA). On April 1, 1938, central-station electricity generated at the
Horton Power Plant was sent into the first section of lines to farms in
Brown and Atchison counties, signaling an end to darkness and drudgery
for rural people. Thirty-eight other electric cooperatives followed in
Kansas to deliver the wonders of electricity into every rural area of
the state. Rural electrification became known as the best "hired hand"
the farmer/rancher could have. Few other occurrences have impacted so
positively on rural areas as has the rural electrification program.
This marker is dedicated to all the rural electric cooperative pioneers
in Kansas who proved that working together for their own and the common
good, produces a better life for themselves and their neighbors.