Stylized Sunflower

Veterans Administration Center

Visitors are Welcome

Stylized Sunflower
 
In 1884 Congress authorized establishment of a Western Branch of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers. Leavenworth citizens contributed $50,000 and 640 acres of land, and the Home was opened here September 1, 1885.
 
For years the blue of Civil War uniforms mingled on these grounds with the khaki of the Spanish American War, to be followed by mufti when uniforms were no longer required.
 
Since 1930 the Center has operated as a Hospital and Domiciliary for our Country's war veterans.
 
An imposing monument in the cemetery commemorates the final resting place of over 12,000 of our military dead.
Erected by Leavenworth Historical Society, 1967
 
Marker text sent by Robert Walter, Pittsburg, KS
 
Leavenworth County  
4th Street at entrance to the Dwight D. Eisenhower VA Medical Center
Ray Miller Park
Leavenworth,
Leavenworth County
  More
Historical
Markers

September 26, 2001 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library