Midland National Bank

      Exterior of the bank showing historical marker.  Photo by John Howell
 

Midland National Bank

________________
 
Midland National Bank opened March 3, 1893 in a building located on the northeast corner of Fifth and Main.  Grant Hornaday was the bank's president, J. H. McNair, vice-president and Don Kinney, cashier.  The bank purchased this site in 1896 for $6000 and moved here in 1907.  A stone wall from Peter Luhn's 1876 Pioneer Store, uncovered in 1977, can still be seen inside the bank.  Herman E. Suderman (b. 1873), an 1885 Russian immigrant, began his banking career at the age of 13 as a janitor and messenger for the German National Bank.  In 1902 he was employed by the Midland bank, and in 1903 was elected a director and vice-president.  He purchased his controlling interest in 1916 and 3 years later became its president.  He held this position until he was succeeded by his son John G. in 1954.  Presently, James H. and John R. Suderman are 3rd generation officers of the bank.  The building was extensively remodeled in 1907, 1922, and 1977
ERECTED 1994 BY
MIDLAND NATIONAL BANK AND HARVEY COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
 
Midland National Bank
 
Harvey County  
Newton, Kansas
Harvey County
  More
Historical
Markers
 
March 30, 2001 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library