John Jacob Krehbiel Memorial Park
In 1879 John Jacob Krehbiel (1838-1921), his wife
Anna Leisy Krehbiel (1845-1923) and their children
came to Newton from Denmark, Iowa. With George L.
Epps, he purchased the Angood Blacksmith Shop at
128 E. 6th. In 1883 Krehbiel bought the business
and constructed a carriage factory. He was a
skilled wagon maker and wheel-wright having
exercised that trade during the Civil War for the
Union Army. Krehbiel was a co-founder of Bethel
College and served on its first board of directors
as president, a position he held for 20 years.
Krehbiel became a major philanthropist giving
liberal contributions to Bethel College and Bethel
Deaconess Hospital. The family home was east of the
factory and was surrounded by the fence that
is presently enclosing the park. Krehbiel descendants
and local citizens, under the leadership of
the Newton Fine Arts Association, have financed
this park, restored the two original buildings and
the iron fence.
Erected in 1996 by the Harvey County Historical Society