The first Harvey County Courthouse on this site was a three story red
brick structure modified Romanesque Revival style dominated by a tall
clock tower. Bedford stone highlighted the exterior with marble lining
the interior hallways. J. C. Holland and Squires, Topeka, were the
architects and Crosby and Son of Kansas City, Mo., contractor.
Groundbreaking was June 20, 1906, and on Sept. 11, an elaborate ceremony
was held for the laying of the cornerstone. The cost was $47,101 and the
magnificent building was a "testimonial to Little Harvey's
progressiveness and spirit." Each office had a fireplace, natural gas,
electricity, and telephone. P. J. Galle presided over the first court
session on Nov. 6, 1907. In 1966 the building was razed. Its marble and
stone can be seen on two local trail markers.
This sign is in memory of the pioneer family Ezra and Charles Branine,
early attorneys, attorney C. Fred Ice and Mildred Branine Ice.