Stylized Sunflower

Anderson Book and Office Supply

Stylized Sunflower
 
      Five generations of the Anderson family have operated Newton's oldest retail business for over 100 years on Main Street. Founder Philip Murray Anderson began his business in 1892 selling newspapers on Santa Fe trains. In 1894 he opened a newsstand in an 8'x16' piano box at 420 Main and was assisted by his mother, Clarissa. In 1900 the business was moved to a double store front at 422-424 Main, the present site of the train depot. These buildings, as pictured, were sold to the Santa Fe when the store relocated at 522 Main in 1928. Phil M. Anderson was Newton's first dealer of Victrolas, G.E. refrigerators, Eastman Kodak photo finishing, Hallmark cards, fireworks and school books. The store was moved to this location in 1938. The limestone and brick building was built in 1883. The interior of the store has the original ceiling fans, wood floors, metal ceilings and gas radiators. Phil E., third generation, started work in 1931 and was a mainstay in the business for over 61 years. His children, Dodi, Jon and Brad, worked in the store during their school years. His son, Phil III, fourth generation, joined the business in 1958. Milton, Murray and Clay, fifth generation, began their retail careers working in the store while in junior high school. Family involvement has always been a trademark of the Anderson success.
 
Erected in 1997 by the family of Philip Murray Anderson and the Harvey County Historical Society
 
Marker text sent by Robert Walter, Pittsburg, KS
 
Harvey County  
Main & Broadway, south west corner
Downtown Newton
Harvey County
  More
Historical
Markers
 
March 30, 2001 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library