town. An argument arose between them, so the story goes, about who
would name the town. Gamblers all, they decided to play a game of
poker and the winner would name the town. An exciting game it was
and a man named Cawker won... and "Cawker" the town became.
Later "City" was added to the name.
With the building of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, the population of
the town increased greatly, and shipping of the farm products became
a major industry here. These crops now include grain, stock and poultry.
Cawker City also manufactures extension feeders.
- CEDAR (77.6 miles northwest of Concordia)
So named because the hills and creek north of the town site were
covered with lovely cedar trees, Cedarville was founded in 1871. Then in
1889, because of a similarity between its name and that of Cedarvale,
the name was shortened to its present form, Cedar.
In 1881 a shipping association was formed to aid the farmers in marketing
their livestock and grain.., and is still operating. Grain shipping
and a rock quarry, which sends rock to be used in the manufacture of
paint to various parts of the United States, are the principal industries.
- CEDAR VALE (57.6 miles west of Coffeyville)
Hardy pioneers, looking for a townsite, were impressed by two things
when they arrived here- the elevated land overlooking two valleys
plus the stately cedar trees growing on the bluffs of the creek, since
named Cedar Creek. Accordingly, this vale and the cedars were the
inspiration for the town name Cedar Vale.
Although farming and cattle raising are the major industries of this
peaceful Kansas town, it is also known for its surgical instrument
manufacture. It is located in Chautauqua County where the main crops are
wheat, corn and kafir corn.
- CENTRALIA (62 miles west of Atchison)
When two of the founders of this town found they were from towns
with the same name, Centralia- one was from Illinois, the other,
Pennsylvania- they couldn't resist naming this new settlement
Farm machinery is manufactured here, a convenience for farmers on
the surrounding lands. A cheese processing plant uses local dairy
products. Corn, wheat and alfalfa are the main crops of the diversified
farming operations here.
- CHETOPA (30.5 miles east of Coffeyville)
Old Osage Indian Chief Chetopa was a friendly fellow who believed
in polygamy and he was aptly named! In the Osage tongue "Che Topa"
means "four lodges" and the Chief gained the title because he had built
a separate lodge for each of his four wives.
In 1857, when a group of westward travelers crossed the Neosho River
at Rocky Ford and decided to establish a town, they called it
"Chetopa" in honor of the friendly chief whose tribe lived close by.
During the War Between the States Federal troops burned and sacked
the town in 1863 but the early settlers, who were a hardy lot, rebuilt
it and in March, 1868, Chetopa was incorporated as a town.
Chetopa is at the hub of a rich farming area producing grain, livestock,
poultry and dairy products and, according to recent surveys, there are
deposits of coal, gas, oil and metallic ores in the vicinity. Local
industries include a woodworking factory.
- CLAFLIN (50 miles west of Salina)
In 1887 the first railroad was built through here. It was the Kansas and
Pacific Railroad, now the Missouri Pacific, which stimulated the growth
of the settlement then called "Gulls City," named for an elderly woman
who lived here and bought stock in the railroad.
In 1888 three men had the town surveyed. They were O. P. Hamilton,
a surveyor from Salina, Kansas; J. H. Cannon of Missouri, and Steve
Dupree, a Frenchman from Illinois. The town was named after Hamilton's
wife whose maiden name was Claflin.
In the heart of the Barton County oil fields, Claflin counts oil as one of
its leading industries. Flour mills in the town and farming in the nearby
areas also provide good incomes for the residents. Clay deposits north
of the town are excellent for pottery making.