- ADMIRE (93 miles east of Salina)
Available information indicates the
establishment of this Lyon County
community was attended by a dispute
between two sections of Waterloo
township over location of the
then new Missouri Pacific Railroad,
built through here in 1886. How the
issue was decided is not quite clear
but three leaders of the successful
group finally were permitted to buy
land for a station and townsite and
give it a name.
One of the men was Jacob Admire,
in whose honor the village was
called "Admire City." Later the
name was shortened to "Admire."
It is one of north Lyon County's important
trading centers today and a busy shipping
point on the Missouri Pacific.
- ALICEVILLE (90 miles north of Coffeyville)
John David Hawes, a Missouri Pacific Railroad conductor, settled in
this section of Kansas when it was still a frontier. Here, with his wife,
Frances Melissa and his daughter, Alice, Hawes began to build a town
beside the railroad which was constructed in 1879. He prospered in
the hay business here and honored his small daughter, Alice, by naming
the new town "Aliceville" after her when it was founded in 1882.
- ALLEN (89 miles east of Salina)
Begun by a gunsmith who served the Indians, Allen, Kansas, now is one
of the leading cattle shipping stations on the Missouri Pacific in Kansas.
Back in the same year Abe Lincoln was elected to Congress from Illinois
Charles Withington, a gunsmith, was serving the Sac and Fox
Indians in the Kansas territory. Some years later he was made Postmaster of Lyon County's first post office called "Allen" where the
Sante Fe Trail crossed the 142 creek.
In 1886, when the Missouri Pacific was pushing its way across Kansas,
Allen sought a station from which to ship the cattle from this area.
When the railroad agreed to stop but could not swing north of its
proposed stop Allen residents abandoned its original historic site and
moved about three and a half miles south to the railroad.
Located at the funnel spout at the edge of the Flint Hills, the little
town has been the first step to market for the ranchers here and a sup-
ply point and banking center for farmers. Its industries include a feed
mill. Surrounding it are grain, stock, poultry and dairy farms, producing
corn, wheat, oats, cattle and hogs.
- ALTON (77 miles west of Concordia)
Two friends left their New York home and started westward in search
of new homes. When they finally reached Crooked Creek, now known
as Solomon River, east of the present site of Alton, Kansas, they
agreed that this was the place they were looking for. One, General
Hiram C. Bull, a merchant, built a log store which gained fame in this
territory. In 1871 a post office was established and was known as Bull's
City, with General Bull as Postmaster. An amusing sidelight is that in
the first years, since few letters were sent from or received at this
village, Mrs. Bull wrote the letters required to keep the post office.
In 1885, through a ruse employing false petitions, the name of the town
was changed from Bull's City to Alton. Prior to this in 1880, on New
Year's Day, the first train (Missouri Pacific) arrived in Bull's Cityan
event which aided the town in its growth.
As the community grew, it became one of the most enterprising
trading spots of Kansas. It is the principal shipping point for northwest
- ALTOONA (40 miles north of Coffeyville)
Altoona takes pride in being one of the few towns of comparable
population to have a weekly newspaper... the Altoona Tribune. It has
gained local fame too through the fictitious characters, Mace Liverworst
and Kate Bender, created by this paper's able editor, Austin Butcher.
Settled in 1866 by Thomas Geddes, Altoona was first called "Geddesburg"
in tribute to its founder. In 1869 two brothers, John and Isaac
Spencer, came here and built a saw mill which did a flourishing business.
At the same time the Altoona Town Company was organized
with Dr. T. F. C. Todd as president. The Spencer brothers and William
Vernum gave the Town Company the present site and in 1870
named it "Altoona" in memory of the Spencer's first home, Altoona, Pa.
At an attractive location for fishing and boating on the Verdigris River,
Altoona is centered in a rich agricultural region. The Neodesha Bank
serves the farmers of the countryside who raise corn, wheat, oats and
flax. Oil wells have been drilled in the vicinity too.