- SALINA (221 miles west of Kansas city)
Fifth ranking city of Kansas in population, seat of Saline County and
principal distributing and trading point in central Kansas, Salina was
staked out by a journalist traveling through Kansas Territory in 1857.
This pioneer was attracted by the site where the Smoky Hill River
twists sharply from its northerly course to flow eastward. Saline County
was organized two years later and within a month a town company was
organized. Early explorers referred to this section of Kansas as the
"Saline River Country," because of the salt content of the river. This
undoubtedly accounts for the name of both the county and its
Salina owed its earliest growth to trade with Indian hunting parties and
as the last supply post for gold seekers bound for Colorado. Following
the War Between the States Salina prospered and expanded with the
coming of the railroads. It now ranks among the first five cities in the
United States in milling. Recent estimates place the daily production of
its huge mills at approximately 10,000 barrels and the combined grain
storage capacity of its mills and elevators at 8,000,000 bushels. Other
leading industries include a foundry; packing, brick and tile plants;
hatcheries and manufacturers of truck bodies, binder canvas, awnings,
mattresses, corn sleds, neon signs, butter, braces and playground
Principal products of the rich agricultural empire surrounding the city
are wheat, alfalfa, poultry and livestock. It was here that the first
experimental planting of alfalfa was tried in 1874, and alfalfa now
ranks among Kansas' leading crops. At Salina are located Marymount
College for girls, Kansas Wesleyan University and St. John's Military
School. The city's Kenwood Park is annually the scene of the Salina
Racing Association annual program and the 4-H Club Fair.
- SALLYARDS (19 miles east Of Eldorado)
A stock-shipping station in Greenwood County, Sallyards grew up
about the stock pens and loading chutes installed by the Missouri
Pacific at the request of S. G. Sallyards, a cattle raiser and shipper.
- SCANDIA (19 miles northwest of Concordia)
Immigrants from Scandinavia who settled in Chicago decided in 1868
to form the Scandinavian Agricultural Society. The plan was for
members to deposit as much of their savings as possible so that a committee
could study farm lands available for permanent settlement. The Society
selected twelve scattered sections of the best land on and near the
Republican River in Kansas. From a map of the location they charted
a townsite in Republic County and named it "New Scandinavia."
The first parties of settlers came by rail as far as Junction City, then
overland by wagon or on foot and arrived in about September, 1868.
With the coming of the Missouri Pacific Railroad in 1878 the name
of the town was changed to Scandia. It was incorporated a year later.
Arrival of the first train to reach the town was on Christmas Eve in 1878.
Prominent among Scandia's industries is a cement tile factory. The
surrounding rich farm lands produce wheat, corn and alfalfa.
- SCOTT CITY (187 miles west of Salina)
County seat of Scott County, this agricultural community was named
like the countyfor General Winfield Scott. Wheat farming, cattle and
sheep raising are the leading industries in-the area but, with gradual
expansion of irrigation systems, other crops are being grown in
mounting volume. These include alfalfa, cantaloupes, honeydew melons,
onions, potatoes and sugar beets.
- SCOTTSVILLE (18 miles west of Concordia)
A wheat and livestock-shipping station in northeast Mitchell County,
Scottsville was founded in 1878, the same year in which the Missouri
Pacific Railroad reached this area. It was named for Tom Scott, one of
its early settlers.
An interesting story is told of the days preceding construction of the
railroad through Scottsville. Settlers in the area asked a party of
railroad officers and surveyors for a station on the new line. They were
promised a station if they could guarantee an adequate supply of
water. They quickly dug a shallow well and, following a heavy rain,
filled it with surface water. When the railroad party returned they saw
the well filled with water and the station was built as promised.
- SEDAN (36 miles west of Coffeyville)
Surrender of the French fortress-town of Sedan on September 1, 1870,
during the Franco-Prussian War, was a news event of world wide
interest. At least it impressed the Kansas pioneers who organized the county