- MAIZE (10 miles northwest of Wichita)
This Sedgwick County community
had its beginning shortly after
construction of the Missouri Pacific's
rail line in 1886. Its name, appropriate for a grain belt town, is the
Indian word for corn. Land on
which the town was established was
donated by Henry Loudenslager.
Grain elevators and alfalfa mills are
the local industries.
- MANKATO (36 miles northwest of Concordia)
A busy town in a livestock country,
Mankato is the county seat of Jewell
County, and leads northern Kansas
in 4H and Soil Conservation
activity. Its name was changed from
Jewell Center, to Mankato, at the suggestion of a former county
commissioner who originally lived at Mankato, Minnesota.
Butter and chicken feed are the principal products of Mankato's
- MARIENTHAL (204 miles west of Salina)
Back in 1892 a group of Germanic Russians made their way across
Kansas to this spot and began to build new homes. Since they had come
from Marienthal, Russia, they gave the new American community the
same name as that of their home town.
Around Marienthal are rich farmlands from which the residents make
their living. The town itself serves as a trading center.
- MARQUETTE (10.7 miles west of Salina)
Selection of a mill site on the Smoky River by H. S. Barem in 1873
initiated the founding of this town in the northwest comer of McPherson
County. The advantages of the site attracted others and in 1874 a town
company was formed. The settlement was named after the founder's
home town, Marquette, Michigan.
Marquette's early history was typical of the struggle for settlement of
the West. Pioneer residents, chiefly Swedish, had to live in dugouts and
suffer cold, driving rain. Whirlwinds and tornadoes often swept the
region and in 1874 the first crop was destroyed by grasshoppers.
Although discouraged, the settlers had to stay because they had no funds
to return east.
Gradually, and with the tenacious courage of the people, the settlement
took root. Marquette now serves as a grain milling center for one of
Kansas' most productive and prosperous farming regions.
- McCRACKEN (110 miles west of Salina)
A pioneer settler who owned the land on which this town is located is
memorialized in the name. McCracken's land was purchased by a
Chicago company and blocked out in 1887, the same year in which the
Missouri Pacific constructed its line through this section of western
McCracken's chief industries are a farmers' elevator, a mill and a
lumber and grain company.
- McPHERSON (62 miles northwest of Eldorado)
Terminus of the Missouri Pacific's branch line that extends
northwestward from Eldorado, McPherson was organized as a city on May 28,
1872, and named for a Union Army leader, General James B. McPherson.
A progressive city, McPherson has four parks, a large band shell and
a modem swimming pool and is the home of McPherson and Central
Colleges. Adjacent to productive oil fields it is also the business center
for an agricultural region with annual farm products valued at more
than $20,000,000. Principal crops of the region are grain, dairy
products, poultry and livestock.
Local industries in McPherson are headed by oil refineries, flour
mills, concrete products plant, poultry packing and cheese-processing
- MICHIGAN (33 miles south of Topeka)
Market and trading center for a rich farming country along the Missouri
Pacific's branch line to Topeka, Michigan was named by its early
settlers for their home state, Michigan. The settlement was made shortly
after the War Between the States on land that had formerly been an
- MILLER (99 miles east of Salina)
In 1882, before the coming of the railroad, a pioneer named Condell
bought a large tract of Osage County land and called it the "Condell