- JAMESTOWN (11 miles west of Concordia)
Jamestown was named in honor of
James Pomeroy, presumably a pioneer settler. It is the trading center
of the surrounding agricultural district in the heart of Cloud County's
- JEWELL (27 miles northwest of Concordia)
Because of Indian uprisings at the time, Jewell was called "Fort Jewell"
and was protected by a fort when it was established in 1870. It was
named after Jewell County in which it is situated and which had derived
its name from Lt. Colonel Lewis R. Jewell of the Sixth Kansas Cavalry
during the War Between the States. Originally Jewell was the county seat,
but later the seat was moved to Mankato.
Living in what is primarily a farming community, Jewell residents raise
wheat, corn, alfalfa and livestock.
- KANOPOLIS (30 miles west and south of Salina)
The name of this salt-mining city in Ellsworth County was compounded
from the first three letters of the state name, KAN, and the Greek
"opolis," for city.
Kanopolis grew up about the site of historic old Fort Harker established here
in 1867 in the heart of the Indian country. The fort was a
starting point for stage lines to Santa Fe and a freighting and supply
depot for southern and western forts. Marauding plains tribes kept Fort
Harker's garrison in the field almost constantly and here General Phil
Sheridan planned his winter campaign of 1868-69 that finally subdued
the southern Indians.
Salt-mining is the principal industry in Kanopolis and the annual output
of its two big mines is approximately 250,000 tons. Southeast of
Kanopolis on the Smoky Hill River is the huge Kanopolis Dam and
Reservoir, a federal flood control and water conservation project that
incidentally has provided the town and surrounding country with an
attractive recreation area.
- KANSAS CITY
Located at the confluence of the Missouri and Kansas Rivers, this eastern
Kansas metropolis is the second largest city in the state. Reasons
for its growth are apparent when one considers its position with Kansas
City, Mo., to the east and in all other directions rich farm lands plus
abundant and varied stores of natural resources. Its early development
was helped immeasurably by steamboats which were replaced by a network
of railroads to enable it and its sister city become the industrial
capitals for a vast and rich region.
Looking at Kansas City history briefly we find records of Lewis and
Clark stopping here on their expedition to the Pacific Coast in 1804
and again on their return voyage two years later. They said "the whole
country exhibits a rich appearance...". Twelve years later its site included
a reservation given to the Delaware Indians. In 1843, the Wyandot,
last of immigrant Indian tribes, came from Sandusky, Ohio, to
purchase this land from the Delawares. In that same year they laid out
Wyandot City, the start of today's Kansas City, Kan.
The Wyandot, a cultured tribe who had intermarried with the whites,
improved their little town until it was coveted by the white man as he
passed through headed for the California gold fields and other places.
The Wyandot were fortunate enough to obtain the rights of citizenship
in 1855 and within a short time had disposed of their property to the
whites with the option of either becoming wards of the nation or
remaining as private citizens.
In 1857 the buyers established a post office and the name of the little
town, which began to boom, was officially made Wyandotte. Other
little towns such as Quindaro, Kansas City, Kan., Riverview, Westport
and Armourdale grew up around and one by one became a part of
Wyandotte. The name was changed officially to Kansas City in 1886
when it was argued that municipal bonds bearing that name would sell
better. So, Kansas City, Kan., the seat of Wyandotte County, has
continued to grow both by annexation of other settlements and adding
new ones of its own by continued population growth.
Railroad facilities it shares with its Missouri sister city make Kansas
City one of the nation's outstanding transportation gateways. It enjoys
equally high rank among the country's livestock markets and meat packing
centers. Other important industries include oil refineries, smelters,
canning plants, flour and grain mills and the manufacture of structural
steel, cement, fiber boxes, creamery products, brick and tile.
Distinctive points of interest include the Indian Cemetery, Municipal
Rose Garden, the Old Water Tower and the "Panoramic View" from
the end of the Missouri Pacific Bridge overlooking Kaw Point, where