- was won by A. F. Horner who moved his house from Newton, Kansas,
to Hutchinson. With the same building Horner previously had won
prizes for the first house in Brookvale and Florence, Kansas, as well as
in Newton. Evidently he liked Hutchinson for the prize-winning house
was never moved again, remaining in its final location until it was razed
to make room for a more modern structure,
Hutchinson was built above salt deposits reputedly among the richest
in the world. They are about 600 feet below the surface and range in
thickness from 300 to 350 feet. Salt mining and processing therefore
is one of the city's major industries along with wheat storage and flour
milling and oil refining. Hutchinson also is an important poultry and
cream market and manufactures fiberboard, airplane parts, candy,
vinegar, plows and oil well supplies. It is the seat of Reno County.
Among outstanding civic events held in Hutchinson are the annual
Fourth of July Fiesta and the Kansas State Fair in September.
- INDEPENDENCE (18.7 miles north of Coffeyville)
Founded in 1870, Independence is the county seat of Montgomery
County and one of Kansas' biggest cities population-wise and
industrially. It was named for the home-town of its organizer, Dr. E. W.
Wright who had moved to Kansas from Independence, Iowa.
Adjacent southern Kansas oil fields have contributed materially to the
development and prosperity of Independence and recent secondary
recovery of oil from these fields promises even greater production than
the original drillings. Products of the city's manufacturing industries
include cement, millwork, washing
machines, brick, tile, auto devices
and oil well bombs. A large alfalfa
dehydrating plant reflects the growing importance of this forage crop
to the surrounding farm country
which also produces in abundance
grain, livestock and dairy products.
Independence was the former home
of Alfred M. Landon, a governor
of Kansas and Republican candidate for the
presidency of the United States in 1936. Another former
resident who attained national prominence was the celebrated explorer,
An attractive community of elm-shaded streets, Independence is
justly proud of its beautiful Riverside
- Park which lies in a deep valley of the Verdigris River. Hundreds
of visitors as well as residents participate in the colorful "Neewollah"
celebration held every year on October 31.
- IOLA (41 miles west of Fort Scott)
Often described by its residents as the "Crossroads of Eastern Kansas,"
Iola was founded in 1859. Information as to the origin of its name is
not available. It is the seat of Allen County, a rich agricultural district
producing milk and other dairy products, corn, wheat, flax, sorghums,
poultry and livestock.
Local Iola industries produce cement, condensed milk,
creamery products, bricks, dresses and candy.
- IRVING (91 miles west of Atchison)
In August, 1859, ten citizens of Lyons, Iowa, decided to organize and
build a new community somewhere on government land on the frontier.
After much discussion about the name of the town-to-be they decided
to call it Irving, in tribute to Washington Irving because their map was
drawn on the day that he died Nov. 28, 1859.
W. W. Jerome, one of the founders, was sent out to explore the frontier.
At Atchison he met General Pomeroy who showed the pioneer portions
of northern Kansas land. Finally Jerome selected a beautiful tract on
the west side of the Big Blue River. After his report back to his friends
settlers from Lyons came westward and, despite winter hardships,
established the town of Irving in 1860.
Situated in a rich farm belt, Irving is an agricultural community, with
livestock, dairy products and poultry the principal shipments from its
- IUKA (50 miles southwest of Hutchinson)
The story of the naming of Iuka provides one of the most interesting
chapters in the history of this part of Kansas. Historians say that when
residents of the community, established in about 1877, met to select a
name they decided to do it with a drawing. Each person put his selection
in a hat with the understanding that the first one drawn, if it was a
name not then in use in Kansas, would be adopted. Possibly the winning
draw was by a man who recognized his own slip, for a Civil War
veteran who fought in the battle of Iuka pulled out that name.
The man with the deft draw was the second Civil War veteran to figure
prominently in early affairs of the settlement. Leader of the original
party that arrived there from Iowa was the Reverend A. Axline who
had been a chaplain in the war. He became the first postmaster. The
town in later years was moved to its present location, at the end of
the Missouri Pacific branch line from Olcott.