the community was incorporated as a town the name was retained and
the following year, when the Missouri Pacific was built through the
section, the town moved a half mile so it could be on the railroad. The
town was re-incorporated and the name was retained.
Agriculture is the main line of business in the vicinity of this Labette
County town, a shipping point for wheat, corn, oats, and livestock.
- EDMOND (127 miles west of Concordia)
Traveling salesmen, it seems, were fast-talking even in the horse and
buggy days! Back in about 1884, a "smooth" one called Jack Edmond,
talked a merchant into naming the town after him! Here's how the
story goes: This little Kansas village had only one store in the early
days, with a Mr. Weaver as its owner. One day a salesman, Jack
Edmond, chided him about his town not having any name.., and offered
to give Weaver 40 sacks of flour if he'd name the town after him. The
merchant hesitated a moment.., he had wanted to name it "Weaver"
after himself, but couldn't, because there was another post office with
that name. So he took the 40 sacks of flour.., and named the town
"Edmond" after the enterprising salesman!
The Missouri Pacific Railroad was cut through here in 1888... and
Weaver's store had to be moved because it was on the right-of-way.
However, the new building Weaver occupied still has a store in it
today, under a different name. The town is on the Solomon River in
- EFFINGHAM (17.2 miles west of Atchison)
Plotted by William Osborne who built the first hundred miles of the
Central Branch of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, in 1868, Effingham was
named for another railroad man, Effingham B. Nichols. It was incorporated in 1890.
The Atchison County Farm Bureau and Soil Conservation offices are
located in this northeastern Kansas town where farmers come for advice
and to trade. Wheat, corn and oats are the principal crops. A hatchery
in the town adds to its income.
- EL DORADO (31 miles east of Wichita)
County seat of Butler County, E1 Dorado was incorporated as a city in
1877. Its name is said to have been inspired by the admiring comment
on the beauty of the surrounding area by J. Cracklin, member of a
party of early settlers. Impressed by what he saw, Cracklin exclaimed
"El Dorado," a Spanish word with the general meaning "land of golden
opportunity or abundance." When the town was established this
descriptive Spanish name was adopted.
E1 Dorado is situated in an area of extensive oil fields, stone quarries and
walnut timberlands. Livestock, grain and alfalfa are principal agricultural
products of its trade territory. It is a shipping point for cattle,
grain and oil, and operates refineries and manufacturing plants producing
oil field tools and supplies and crushed rock.
- ELMO (27 miles east of Salina)
A prospering Dickinson County farming community, Elmo ships wheat,
dairy products and beef cattle via the Missouri Pacific Railroad.
Originally located two miles west of the present site and called "Banner
City," it was moved to its present location and its name changed in
later years. No information is available as to the origin of either name.
- ELYRIA (56 miles northwest of El Dorado)
A grain storage and shipping point on the El Dorado-McPherson branch
of the Missouri Pacific, Elyria was named for the Ohio city of the same
name. The selection is said to have been made by an influential early
settler, A. G. Smith.
- EUREKA (64 miles east of Wichita)
The generally accepted story of the origin of the name of this Greenwood
County community is that in 1857 a wagon train crossing to
new adventure in the west had long been without water. Late in the
evening the creak of wheels was interrupted with the cry that water
had been found. It was from a large spring that is still flowing. The
party drank its fill, loaded all available containers, watered the animals
and went on greatly refreshed.
In 1868, when it came time to choose a name for the new town at the
same spot, someone remembered the early account. They recalled too
the historic exclamation of the ancient Greek scientist-philosopher,
Archimedes. Eureka"We have found it," was suggested and adopted
as the appropriate name.
Eureka now is an important shipping point for the products of the
surrounding area oil, grain and livestock.