Stylized Sunflower

Marysville
Historic District

Stylized Sunflower
 
A few miles below Marysville was the famous ford on the Oregon Trail known as the Independence, Mormon, or California crossing. There thousands of covered wagons with settlers bound for Oregon, Mormons for Utah and gold seekers for California crossed the Big Blue River. In 1849 a ferry and trading post was established at the ford by Frank J. Marshall, despite constant danger from Indians. Two years later the military road between Forts Leavenworth and Kearny crossed the river at the site of present Marysville, one mile west. Marshall built another ferry and for years handled an immense traffic. He gave the name of his wife, Mary, to the town that developed here and his own name to Marshall County of which it is the county seat. In 1860 Marysville became a station on the Pony Express. For most of the 1860's it was an important stopping place for coaches of the great Overland Stage Line.
Erected by Kansas State Historical Society & State Highway Commission

Marker text sent by Robert Walter, Pittsburg, KS

Franklin County  

Marshall County
U.S. 36 (MP 294), roadside pull off, north side
  More
Historical
Markers


November 12, 2002 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library