Old Lost Spring

Small sign east of Lost Springs in Marion County

One of the 1906 red stone Santa Fe Trail markers is across the road.


WATERING PLACE ON SANTA FE TRAIL 400 FEET
NORTH CALLED BY SPANIARDS OLLALA PERDIDA
(SWEET SPRINGS) USED FROM 1804 TO 1872
HOTEL & TAVERN LOCATED SE OF SPRING
PONY EXPRESS POST OFFICE IN HOTEL
PONY EXPRESS STOCKADE SOUTH OF HOTEL
200 OR MORE PRAIRIE SCHOONERS, WAGONS
ETC. WOULD CAMP IN CIRCLE SOME NIGHTS
INDIAN BATTLE SITE 1300 FEET NW OF SPRING
GRAVES OF 17 COWBOYS PERISHED IN BLIZZARD
IN 1878 SOUTH OF HOTEL
TRAIL RAN NE - SW THIS POINT

More  Historical Markers


June 2, 1997 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library