Stylized Sunflower

LECOMPTON, SLAVERY CAPITAL

Stylized Sunflower
 
Three miles north is Lecompton, famous in the latter 1850's as headquarters of the Proslavery party in Kansas. The "bogus" legislature of 1855 made it the territorial capital and Congress appropriated $50,000 for a capitol building which was never completed. Lecompton was served by stagecoach, steamboat, and ferry. With a land office and other Federal Agencies, it prospered until the downfall of the slave power in Kansas. Gov. Charles Robinson and many free-state leaders were imprisoned there during 1856-1857. Still to be seen is the legislative hall in which the Lecompton Constitution was framed in 1857.
 
"Fort Titus" home of proslavery leader Henry Titus, attacked and burned by Free-State men in 1856, was 2½ miles north of this marker.
Erected by Kansas Historical Society and Department of Transportation
 
This marker has been replaced with a newer version
 
Douglas County  
US-40 south of Lecompton
Douglas
Douglas County
  More
Historical
Markers

June 2, 1997 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library