KANSA INDIAN AGENCY


          At the mouth of Stonehouse creek, 2½ miles southeast of this marker, the U.S. government in 1827 established an agency for the Kansa Indians. Here Daniel Morgan Boone, son of the famous frontiersman, built a log house when he was appointed "agriculturist" to teach the Indians farming. His twelfth child, Napoleon, born here August 22, 1828, was the second white child and first white boy born in present Kansas of whom there is record.

          Two miles northwest of Boone's cabin the government erected a stone house for White Plume, head chief of the Kansa, who was the great-great-grandfather of Vice President Charles Curtis. However, White Plume soon abandoned the house for a lodge he built nearby. "Too much fleas," he said.

          About a mile from the agency, on the south side of the Kansas river, Frederick Chouteau operated a trading post, 1829-1832. In 1830 the Rev. William Johnson started a short-lived Methodist mission and school in an agency building. It was unsuccessful partly because the nearest Kansa village was more than 20 miles upriver and few children attended.

          Boone lost his job as farmer in 1831 and the agency was eliminated in 1834 when an act of congress reorganized the Indian service.

Erected by State Historical Society & State Highway Commission

Marker text sent by Mike LeMasters, Wichita, KS

Jefferson
Jefferson
County
 

West of intersection of US 59 & US 24
Jefferson County

 

More
Historical
Markers


September 24, 2001 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library