Volga-Germans
Of Herzog

Statue of Volga-German Immigrants in Victoria, KS

THE FIRST TWENTY THREE FAMILIES OF VOLGA GERMANS ARRIVED IN VICTORIA
ON APRIL 8, 1876, AND ESTABLISHED THE VILLAGE OF HERZOG IN THE AREA
NORTH OF THIS POINT. THE FIRST RELIGIOUS ACTIVITIES OF THESE
SETTLERS CENTERED AROUND THE VILLAGE CROSS. IN THE FOLLOWING MONTHS
AND YEARS THEY WERE JOINED BY MANY MORE VOLGA GERMAN IMMIGRANTS
THE COMMUNITY OUTGREW THREE CHURCH BUILDINGS BEFORE THE PRESENT
CHURCH WAS COMPLETED IN 1912. THIS STATUE, A TRIBUTE TO THESE
PIONEERS, WAS DEDICATED JULY 28, 1978

Ellis
Marshall County
County
 
Historical marker on old US40
Victoria
Ellis County
 

More
Historical
Markers


May 10, 1999 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library