Fort Dodge

Marker beside KS-154
Ford County, Kansas

Fort Dodge, named for Maj. Gen. Grenville M. Dodge, was established here in 1865. It was a supply depot and base of operations against warring Plains Tribes. Custer, Sheridan, Miles, Hancock, "Wild Bill" Hickok and Buffalo Bill Cody are figures in its history. The site was an old camping ground for wagon trains near the western junction of the "Dry" and "Wet" routes of the Santa Fe trail. The first buildings were of sod and adobe although some of the troops lived in dugouts. Several of the stone buildings erected later are in use today. The fort was abandoned in 1882 and is now a state soldier's home.
 
The Spanish explorer Coronado is believed to have crossed the Arkansas river a few miles east of here in 1541.
Erected by Kansas Historical Society and State Highway Commission
More  Historical Markers

December 8, 2002 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library