Stylized Sunflower

Salina Founders Park

Stylized Sunflower
 
        In early February, 1858, Colonel William A. Phillips, Alexander M. Campbell, and James Muir, seeking a location for a townsite, explored on foot the banks of the Smoky Hill River. They drove the stakes to found Salina in this immediate area. This park commemorates that event. The milling industry played a significant role in the growth of Salina. This millstone is believed to be the original stone from the Phillips Mill, the first steam-powered grist mill in Salina, opened in May, 1861.

A Bicentennial Project
July 4, 1976

Photo and marker text sent by Robert Walter, Pittsburg, KS

Saline County  
East Iron Avenue between Third and Fourth Streets
East of Smoky Hill River in Founders Park
Saline County
  More
Historical
Markers


February 15, 2003 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library