Elwood

      Elwood, first called Roseport, was established in 1856. In its heyday
scores of river steamboats unloaded passengers and freight at its
wharves and every 15 minutes ferryboats crossed to its Missouri rival,
St. Joseph. During the 1850's thousands of emigrants outfitted here for
Oregon and California. Late in 1859, Abraham Lincoln seeking the
Republican nomination, here first set foot in Kansas, and spoke in the
three-story Great Western Hotel. Elwood was the first Kansas station on
the Pony Express between Missouri and California. Construction of the
first railroad west of the Missouri river began here in 1859. On April
23, 1860, the first locomotive, "The Albany," was ferried over and
pulled up on the bank by hand. Elwood's ambitions for greatness were
thwarted, not by St. Joe, but by the river which undermined the banks
and washed much of the old town away.

Erected by Kansas State Historical Society & State Highway Commission

Marker text sent by Robert Walter, Pittsburg, KS

Doniphan County  
Elwood - 203 Roseport Road
Doniphan County
 

More
Historical
Markers


October 5, 2000 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library