This corner was occupied by the Exchange Saloon, the site of many shooting
incidents between cowpokes and outlaws during the 1870 and 1880s. The
saloon was destroyed by fire in 1898. The first floor of this building was
built in 1902 with materials taken from the third floor of the native stone
building one block north. The differing stone can be seen on the south side
of this building. Both buildings are made of stone quarried by hand 5 miles
southwest of Caldwell and brought to town by horse and wagon.