Stylized Sunflower

First Capitol of Kansas

Stylized Sunflower
 
First territorial Capitol.
This building was erected in 1855 in the now extinct town of Pawnee for the first legislature of the territory of Kansas. The members were mostly Missourians fraudulently elected in an effort to make Kansas a slave state. They came in wagons and on horseback, well armed, and camped out on the prairie. The session lasted from July 2 to 6. The Missourians were determined to legislate nearer home and passed a bill to move to Shawnee Methodist Mission near Kansas City. Governor Reeder vetoed the bill, it was passed over his veto, and this ended the session here. All other acts, including the so-called Bogus Laws, were passed at Shawnee Mission. This building stood in partial ruin until its restoration in 1928 by the Union Pacific railroad.
Erected by Kansas State Historical Society & State Highway Commission

Marker text and picture sent by Robert Walter, Pittsburg, KS

Geary County  
Ft. Riley
Bldg #693, East Huebner Road
Geary County
  More
Historical
Markers


November 19, 2002 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library