BALDWIN

Historical marker beside Highway US 56
One mile east of Baldwin in Douglas County


          Here, and for the next 300 miles west, Highway 56 roughly follows the old Santa Fe trail, and frequently crosses it. White settlement began in this area in 1854, the year Kansas became a territory, and in 1855 the town of Palmyra was founded. When Baker University was established on the outskirts in 1858 a new town sprang up. It was named for John Baldwin, an Ohio capitalist who in 1857 hauled a steam sawmill in over the trail. By 1863 Palmyra had merged with Baldwin.

          Local settlers were "Free~State" in the fight over slavery; several were captured in a Proslavery raid of 1856. Among Free~State leaders was Dr. Andrew T. Still, founder of osteopathy, whose theory of healing was developed here.

          Baker University, named for Methodist Bishop Osmon Baker, is the state's oldest four-year college. It houses the famous Bishop Quayle Bible collection and its first building, the "Old Castle", is now a museum.

Erected by Kansas State Historical Society and State Highway Commission

Marker text sent by Mike LeMasters, Wichita, KS

More  Historical Markers


April 9, 2001 / Bob Walter / Wichita, Kansas / history@kslib.info

Blue Skyways Kansas on the Net   Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library