Established in 1867, the Fort Hays-Fort Dodge
Trail, which passed near this spot, was first used
by the military and some civilian traffic in 1868.
The following year Alexander Harvey, a former
member of the Sixth Cavalry, built a trading post
on the trail on the north bank of Walnut Creek
near here, and provided a place to ford the creek.
A few years later, the town of Alexander was
The bulk of the military usage of the Fort