Wilson County Kansas
Township Histories

Colfax Township


The township history material was taken from the Historical Atlas of Wilson County Kansas published in 1881, and submitted by Bill Bentley.


Colfax Township. - Colfax was carved out of the east half of Clifton tp., July 25th, 1870. The first election was held Sept. 5, 1870, at the residence of Chas. M. Shirley. The officers elected were Ira A. Cain, Trustee; Gustavus McFadden, Treasurer; Silas R. McFarland, Clerk; Jos. Blanchard and Samuel Martin, Justices; H. A. Gaskill and J. F. York, Constables. Several persons settled on territory that was included in Colfax tp. in 1868, Geo. Brown among the number - and in 1869 more settlers followed. In 1870 the township was taken by storm by seekers for homes. Thirty arrived in a single day, in the month of May. A large colony of Swedes settled in the north-east corner of the township that year. They are industrious and thrifty citizens and have made their neighborhood bloom and blossom as the rose.


Additional histories included are:


Tom & Carolyn Ward
Columbus, KS

tcward@columbus-ks.com


Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

©1998
Last updated 12/20/1998


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project
KSGenWeb
Archives
Return to
Wilson County