The following material was originally written by Bill Bentley and
submitted to the Wilson Co. History published in 1988. It has
been posted here with his permission.
The small pictures are a link to a full size picture.
Joseph M. Swinney, son of James T. and Clara C. (Peters) Swinney was born in Mercer Cty. West Va. on 23 Sept. 1852. His early manhood was spent in West Va. and he moved west with his parents after the Civil War spending a year or two in Missouri and arrived in southern Wilson Cty. in 1870. On 15 Feb. 1872 Joseph married Artia M. Mahurin, daughter of J. W. and Ann (Deweese) Mahurin from Kentucky. Joe homesteaded the NE 4, S 31, T 30 S, R 15 E located about two miles east of LaFontaine. About 1890 he and Artia moved to a farm just west of Roper in Wilson Cty. and in 1897 they bought 160 acres east of Buffalo in what was known as the NW 4, S 10, T 27 S, R 16 E at a price of $2,200.00.
In November 1910 they sold the farm east of Buffalo for $7,250.00 and the following spring migrated to Hill Cty., Montana where they homesteaded at the northeast edge of Gildford on 280 acres. There they raised thorough- bread shorthorn cattle, find percheron horses and pedigred Poland China hogs. Through his work as a livestock man, Mr. Swinney extended his acquaintance all over Montana and won many prizes at exhibitions.
Joseph died on 5 Nov. 1928 and his wife Artia on 15 June 1926. They are both buried at Gildford, Montana. To their marriage, and all in Wilson Cty., Kansas, were born the following children:
(1) Levi H., born 27 May 1873, died 15 Nov. 1890 and buried at Maple Grove Cemetery in Wilson Cty. Not married.
(2) William T., born 2 Dec. 1874 (Gertrude M. Butcher, 24 Feb. 1896) and died 20 Sept. 1961. Buried at Buffalo Cemetery.
(3) Jacob Tilden, born 6 Sept. 1876 (Daisey O. Stoll, 18 Dec. 1906) He farmed all his life east of Buffalo in Wilson Cty. and died Aug. 1942. Buried Buffalo Cemetery. Children: Lois, George, Delyte and Phyllis.
(4) Fred Martin, born 12 Sept. 1879 (Sarah Simpson, 30 March 1915) They migrated to area of Pincher Creek, Alberta, Canada about 1900, farmed and died there on 17 Sept. 1951. No children.
(5) Thaddeus Claude, born 28 Nov. 1882 (Minnie Irvin, 14 Sept. 1904) and died 24 Sept. 1905. Buried Buffalo Cemetery. No children.
(6) Abel B., born 12 Nov. 1883 (Minnie B. Crites, 1915 and Mary M. Crites Dumdai, 1921) Went to Hill Cty., Montana about 1911 where he homesteaded, farmed and worked for the school system at Guildford. Died 22 Feb. 1957 and buried Havre, Montana. Children: Donald M., Lois E. and Luella M.
(7) Clara "Ann", born 30 Jan. 1886 (Frank J. Orr, 2 March 1904) This family farmed northeast of Buffalo until about 1911 when they homesteaded in Hill Cty., Montana. They farmed there near Guildford a few years then returned to the farm east of Buffalo about 1915. Husband Frank lost his life in an auto-train accident near Fredonia leaving Ann with one son and seven daughters. She died 22 Dec. 1978 and is buried at Buffalo. Children: Mecia Ellen, Mable Irene, Harvey F., Hazel Ruth, Rosetta May, Mary Emily, Helen G. and Pauline L.
(8) Mattie Rose, born 23 July 1888 (William E. Penniwell, 15 May 1907) She and husband farmed near Guildford, Hill Cty., Montana homesteading there about 1911. She died 17 May 1980 and is buried at Guildford. Children: Daniel E., Elizabeth Irene, Laura Alice and Eleanor M.
(9) Ruth R., born 4 Dec. 1890 (Frank S. Martin, 15 May 1907) Died on 22 Dec. 1978 and buried at Niangua, Webster Cty., Missouri. Children: Fred, Thelma Irene, Clara Mae, Mary Ellen and Martha Belle.
(10) Joseph Edward, born 29 Sept. 1893 (Flora Mae Hinman, 20 July 1916) died 7 June 1976 and buried at Eugene, Oregon. Children: Jacob Milford, Joseph Edw'd., Gladys Allena, Nelda Carmelia, Reuben Carl, Lola Mae and Buehl Ray.
Tom & Carolyn Ward
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project