WILSON
Robert Coulter WilsonRobert Coulter Wilson came to WaKeeney in 1884 with his wife, Nellie, and son Chase T., who was one year old. They came from Ottumwa, Iowa. He established a partnership known as Wilson & Murray, engaged in insurance and banking. In 1885, he founded the First National Bank of WaKeeney, which became the WaKeeney State Bank in 1887, and has been in continuous operation since.

Nellie Wilson During the next ten years, 3 daughters, Mary, Jane, and Helen, were born to the family. The Wilsons were active in the First Presbyterian Church.

Mr. Wilson founded the Collyer State Bank in 1906, and the Ogallah State Bank in 1909, along with residents of those communities. He was tireless in working to improve educational opportunities, and his greatest triumph was the building of the new high school, dedicated in 1913. He and his family were involved in every type of church activity, and he was deeply supportive of the College of Emporia, contributing heavily to its financial support. All of, his children were in attendance there, as were grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Chase and Nellie died in 1917, Robert died in 1920, Mary Fullington in 1970, Jane Heckman in 1973.

Trego County GenWeb Index  |  KSGenWeb   |  USGenWeb

EMAIL Trego County Coordinator
Gayle M. Garrett ....WaKeeney, KS
garr@ruraltel.net



The KSGenWeb logo was designed and is copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.
The USGenWeb Logo was designed by Linda Cole.

bar03.gif - 4816 Bytes

Search all of Blue Skyways
including The KSGenWeb Project

Hosts the
KSGenWeb Site
KSGenWeb Project