Michael Troutman was born in Fulton county, Indiana, April 17 1850. Here he lived until 17 years of age at which time they moved to Macon county, Ills. In October 1871 he removed to Kansas settling in Avon township near Wellington. Two years later he homesteaded a claim of 160 acres in South Haven township. in 1879 he moved to Harmon township to his present home where he has resided for the last 47 years.
April 20 1876 he was united in marriage to Miss Delilia Elder. Five children were the result of this union. Two children are living today: Mrs. O. T. Haun of Wellington, (see notes) Kansas and George H. Troutman of Belle Plaine in whose home he was so tenderly cared for during his last sickness.
Over 32 years ago he united with the Methodist Episcopal Church of Belle Plaine where he has since retained his membership. He was a member of the United Workmen, the Fraternal Aid and the Elks. Beside the two children there survive two brothers: William Troutman of Galveston, Ind., and Ezra Troutman of South Haven, Kansas. Also three sisters: Mrs Nancy Lambert of Kokoomo, Ind., Mrs. Ella Snyder of Dalton City, Ill. and Mrs. E.M. Tilbury of Eldorado, Ark., who for the last five weeks has been helping care for her brother. There are also seven grandchildren.
Last Thursday, Mar. 11 he passed to his reward. It was the same day and hour that 9 years before his wife had preceded him.
At the time of his going he had been here 75 years, 10 months and 24 days. He was a man respected by all who knew him for his honesty and integrity. He was a good citizen a good neighbor and a good friend.
The funeral services were held from the Methodist Church Saturday afternoon, at 2:30, conducted by the pastor, Rev. B.F. Young. There was a large crowd present, the building not being able to hold near all those who wished to attend. Special music was furnished by a quartette composed of Miss Leata and Helen Hatfield and Paul and Solon Hatfield. Miss Cliffie Crews presided at the piano. The floral offerings were very profuse. Burial took place at the local cemetery.
Submitted by Nancy Willis