From A Biographical History of Central
Kansas, Vol. II, p. 1155
published by The Lewis Publishing Co, Chicago & New York, 1902
The enterprising spirit of the west finds exemplification in Ben Guldner, who has always lived on this side of the Mississippi and is of that class of wide-awake, energetic men who readily master expedients and make opportunities where none exist, - men who have built up the great commonwealths of the west and marked out the path of advancing civilization.
Mr. Guldner was born in Davenport, Iowa, March 22, 1859, and when a young man of eighteen years came to Rice county with his father, John Guldner, who is still one of the honored pioneer settlers and enterprising business men of this portion of the state. At the customary age he had entered the First-ward school of Davenport, therein mastering the common branches of learning which prepare one for the practical duties of life. On putting aside his text-books he assisted his father in the sawmill, and after coming to Rice county he aided his father in farming and in the operation of the grist mill.
On the 6th of May, 1880, Benjamin Guldner was united in marriage to Miss Henrietta Evans, an intelligent and estimable lady, who was born, reared and educated in Clark County, Illinois, a daughter of William and Margaret Evans. Her father is now deceased but the mother is living with her daughter, Mrs. Guldner. She represents one of the old pioneer families of North Carolina, whence her people removed to Clark county, Illinois. Three children have come to bless the home of our subject and his wife, - Lillie O, Maggie E and Roscoe L, - and the family circle yet remains unbroken by the hand of death, the children being still under the parental roof.
One of the most desirable farm residences in Eureka township is that occupied by Benjamin Guldner and his family. It is situated on section 5 and was erected at a cost of two thousand dollars. Of modern style of architecture, well arranged and pleasantly furnished, its charm is heightened by the spirit of good cheer and hospitality which pervades it. Underneath the house is a substantial cellar walled with rock. The barn, one of the largest in the county, is forty by fifty feet. There is also a grove of four or five acres, large fields of grain and the latest improved machinery, for facilitating the farm work. The present fine residence is in great contrast to the first home of Mr. and Mrs. Guldner, which was a little sod house, built by themselves. Later they had a small frame dwelling, which is now used as a general store-room.
Mr. Guldner is a prominent member of the Knights of Pythias fraternity, belonging to Frederick Lodge, No. 75, of which he is now prelate. He has filled all the offices in the local organization and has been representative to the grand lodge. He is a most attractive and zealous worker in behalf of the order, and is also a valued representative of Camp No. 1712, Modern Woodmen of America, while his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. They have many friends in the community where for many years they have made their home, being widely and favorably known.